NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2627282930 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 7:23pm
Got the steering wheel off, mostly because I was getting tired of looking at it.

Also found my 1950's mail jeep heater. Glad I can put some Jeep parts in this thing!

Looking pretty lame in the driveway, but I'm stocking up on parts.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 4:50am
Won a sweet morse control box off ebay from a 67 chris craft. It looks identical to the ones in the 67 maruders so it should look pretty solid in my rig. I HATED the plastic box in it!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 7:23pm
Won a ski pole off eBay today, out of a century riveria, 36" tall. Perfect size! Also bought roberts 6700 carpet glue, it had fantastic reviews.

Some of the stuff. On top of the carpet glue you can see the rear eye I won off ebay, the one that was in the boat ripped out.

Chiseled off some of the original fiberglass, one layer of roven! Man they really hacked these things together! After close inspection a lot of the stringers literally had no fiberglass what so ever and they lasted almost 50 years.

The only spots I could find with two layers was where they overlapped.

Little engine cradle I made.

The boards, they are 16ft'ers. I cut off one end and had my uncle use his moisture meter on a couple of the boards, 7-8% on the faces, 10% on the end. Perfect for fiberglassing, I dont have to wait a day longer. (but I will, because I have other projects I have to finish!)

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I got my 2 quarts of cpes today along with 2 gallons of West Epoxy.

What are you planning to do with that material? Is the Mustang youre rebuilding a 1:10 scale model?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 3:59am
I might just be purchasing my fiberglass off ebay of all places...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-Cloth-6-4oz-X-60-X-150-woven-roving-Grade-E-/180853188390?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2a1bb0a726&vxp=mtr
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 9:13pm
I take that back, they are not. Is there any specific advantages of one other the other?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 9:01pm
Biax and cloth are the same material correct? 3 layers of cloth should be better than the original one layer of roving I imagine?

BTW I bought the Gourgeon brothers book, excellent read. It filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 8:56pm
Jim,
The roving will be hard to bend around the corners of the stringers. I suggest using biax instead.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 8:49pm
I got my 2 quarts of cpes today along with 2 gallons of West Epoxy.

For the stringers I plan on 2 layers of fiberglass cloth, and one layer of roving. I'm going to order the cloth tonight. I will order two 25 yard rolls of 10oz cloth and 25 yards of roving.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:06pm
I'm going to have to start ordering materials soon:
-Douglas fir for all stringer wood work.
-CPES everything
-Original style fiberglass cloth

Sound good?

Also, what is the differnce between the doug fir at home depot and the doug fir at a sawmill? Just the number of knots?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:45pm
I have made more progress then that but I forgot to take pics. Rudder, steering exhaust is all out.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:43pm
Haven't had a lot of time the past two days but I pretty much have everything out (besides the dash, leaving that alone for now) and the engine ready to be removed. Just have to disconnect the driveshaft and mount bolts.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Good that you had easy trip,too bad about your Grandpa tho. Looks like your buddy has a 6 in his grand? Kind of makes the cruise control hard to use thru Georgia don't it? Keep us posted on your project, looks like a good one.

Yeah he was a great guy, father of 13 children! It was quite the ordeal.

The Jeep got about 17mpg to the boat and 13mpg back, not to bad. Once you when past 85 though it wanted to keep downshifting.

I left for this boat while I was in the middle of working on my Jeep so updates will be sporadic. Also, the whole trip kind of cleaned me out for cash for a bit haha. Just over 800 just in gas
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 2:43am
Good that you had easy trip,too bad about your Grandpa tho. Looks like your buddy has a 6 in his grand? Kind of makes the cruise control hard to use thru Georgia don't it? Keep us posted on your project, looks like a good one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:40am
Got my boat!!! Its a real pile!! A FANTASTIC pile!!!

Pics of the whole trip.

Got to nashville, best buddy mikes jeep.

Got to visit my girlfriend in nashville.

Todd and I faked this handshake for ceremonial purposes.

Jeep drove 1400 miles, we picked up the boat, drove 1 mile to the gas station and she stalled and died. Bad omen? She fired right back up and only stalled a few times on the 1700 mile trip back (had to go to long island, grandfather passed away. He was a cool mother ***************er and would have loved this boat.

Belt broke on one of the trailer tires. When to harbor freight and got two 55mph rated tires for a safe ride back. Might have exceeded their recommended speed :)

Best buddy mike.

Florida gas station

Slept at a rest stop in north carolina

At my aunts in long island for the funeral

Safe at home!

My babies together at last <3

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 1:02am
Has anyone ever used Redwood? it is naturally rot resistant, I have been on a 100+ year old dredge built entirely of redwood untreated uncovered directly in contact with the water. Just curious as I have not seen any mention in these threads.
This is the life
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 11:29pm
Getting the plate for the trailer this weekend and prob rob all the stereo equipment out of the bayliner. Maybe stop by the bosses place and look at some chrome
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 8:39pm
I want to do about 4 or 5 nice thick layers on the stringers, you would just use the tape? I've only ever cut strips from the matt in the past. How about that orignal style basket weave stuff, or is there a reason they stopped using it? If I used that stuff it would look like I was never in there.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 2:35pm
yes,
They sell cloth by the yard and in precut tapes. I used three pieces of tape in increasingly larger increments for all the inside corners. So for example 2"/4"/then 8". Any matt or biax will be tough to get wrapped around anything or any areas that need bending.

I think you will find US composites a little cheaper.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Actually I think you are confusing mat with biax. 1708 and 1808 are biax designations,

The 1708 Contains double bias(17oz) stitched at 45degrees along with one layer of 3/4oz mat.Thickness: 0.044"

The 1808 Contains double bias(18oz) stitched at 90degrees along with one layer of 3/4oz mat.Thickness: 0.048"

These will be fine for final layering but will not be appropriate for taping and wrapping. Too thick hard to bend around corners etc.

I reccomend a 8-10oz cloth along with some mat as well. I used the cloth mainly for taping and wrapping, did a final wrap with mat. Also the mat was good for laminating.

Ah yes, I have been using the matt at work, never any tape though. Didnt know there was such a luxury.

So something like this to wrap the stringers? http://compositeenvisions.com/raw-fabric-cloth-2/fiberglass-cloth-mat-roving-101/fiberglass-cloth-tape-e-glass-8-7oz-6-width-50-yard-roll-519.html

Then matt to do the big areas?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 11:42am
Actually I think you are confusing mat with biax. 1708 and 1808 are biax designations,

The 1708 Contains double bias(17oz) stitched at 45degrees along with one layer of 3/4oz mat.Thickness: 0.044"

The 1808 Contains double bias(18oz) stitched at 90degrees along with one layer of 3/4oz mat.Thickness: 0.048"

These will be fine for final layering but will not be appropriate for taping and wrapping. Too thick hard to bend around corners etc.

I reccomend a 8-10oz cloth along with some mat as well. I used the cloth mainly for taping and wrapping, did a final wrap with mat. Also the mat was good for laminating.

The biax is too thick in my opinion and is best for a faster final layup.

Although some here probably find the home store Dfir to be subpar I also got mine there. I still paid alot for it and it was very straight, lacked knots, etc etc. All in all a very nice piece of wood. That in combination with the copious amounts of CPES and epoxy resin have me feeling this was a good compromise. I probably saved about half over a special order.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 8:29pm
Bought the doug fir, at home depot of all places. I'll soak the **** out of it with CPES and glass it all together.
My decision was made while thinking about Rot Doctor and how good the stuff really is. Our 55' chris craft tour boat is pretty much held afloat by it.

I'm going to put a order in soon with my guys, whats the difference between 1808 and 1708 fiberglass matt? Cant remember what we stock at work. Should I use different matts for different areas?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

We couldnt find much locally here in the northeast either.

Just have to know where to look....right down the road from where you used to live.   

Downs & Reader lumber

We found it closer than that- someplace out near Brad, I think. Littleton, maybe? We found a handful of places that could get it- but all had to special order it. All were expensive!

I dont think I could bring myself to spend $300 on a wood re-stringer job again. A few hundred bucks more could do a simple Coosa job!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 2:29pm
All of my DF for the mains and secondaries was $230 out the door. I just used regular ply for the floor.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 12:00am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

We couldnt find much locally here in the northeast either.

Just have to know where to look....right down the road from where you used to live.   

Downs & Reader lumber
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 9:59pm
I'll just have to keep calling around then.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 2:17pm

Hmm you guys are making it sound like it should be more than 30 bucks for a 20ft board. Probably not Douglas fir if the price is that low?

LOL, I think the last set of doug fir stringers I bought were in the $200 range. We couldnt find much locally here in the northeast either.

Of course, that didnt include the ply required on the floor, either. Im sure we'll have all of $300 in wood into the boat when its all said and done. It makes a strong case for composites!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The red tint looks like Doug Fir. The white stuff could be "Hem Fir". All the lower quality construction grades (SPF) are sometimes just called "white woods".

Ah, that explains why the monkeys at lowes couldn't tell me what "white wood" was haha. Good to know!

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

If it just says fir, it's more than likely Hem Fir which is a species group that contains different species of fir and hemlock, but typically not Douglas Fir. If it's Douglas Fir, they're going to proudly tell you and charge you! There are many kinds of fir, most are inferior to Douglas Fir.

Have you pulled the boat apart? I'd look at the boat before deciding what you need to do.

I haven't even got the boat yet! Good to know it might be hem fir. The PO says that there are some bad spots but the stringers are ok. May be able to get a season out of them, but if I can I want to get them replaced before summer.

Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

If you have a lead on KD Doug Fir buy it.
Purchased from a cabinet supplier or the like, it should not only be controlled drying process but also free of knots. This will be the best choice if affordable and practical to locate.

Hmm you guys are making it sound like it should be more than 30 bucks for a 20ft board. Probably not Douglas fir if the price is that low? I do know of a lumber mill not too far away, I'll call them and see what they say. Is there a particular species of doug fir I would want?
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 10:57am

I have a lead when I can get kiln dried douglas fir. Is that what I should buy?

If you have a lead on KD Doug Fir buy it.
Purchased from a cabinet supplier or the like, it should not only be controlled drying process but also free of knots. This will be the best choice if affordable and practical to locate.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 10:31am
If it just says fir, it's more than likely Hem Fir which is a species group that contains different species of fir and hemlock, but typically not Douglas Fir. If it's Douglas Fir, they're going to proudly tell you and charge you! There are many kinds of fir, most are inferior to Douglas Fir.

Have you pulled the boat apart? I'd look at the boat before deciding what you need to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2627282930 32>
  Share Topic