NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

just read this youll laugh

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 3:51pm
Since we are trying to keep people on thier toes by recalling our less than spectacular boating moments...

When I was about 8 or 9 we were skiing up at our camp behind my uncles 13 ft mirrocraft with a 35 horsepower mercury it was at that time common practice for us to take off from the dock ski about a mile down, ski about a mile back and then cut the boat in hard just past the raft towards the dock and then at the last minute cut hard back out leaving the skier with the ability to let go and glide in, sometimes spraying the dock, sometimes attempting to sit down on the dock just as they came to a stop and started to sink. I know its crazy but we had done it like that as long as I could remember, wearing nothing but a little cypress gardens foam belt for protection. This particular day things went pretty well up to the point where my mother had to turn out and some slack in the steering cable combined with the hard turn on the way in allowed the cable to get stuck on one of the wiring hooks under the gunnel. The result was no steering with which to turn out with.
My mother did the only thing she could think of and turned off the key but of course the boat continued to go straight into the neighbors dock, then boat actually went straight up in the air and over the dock landing on the other side. Thankfully everyone lived through it pretty well, the worst of it was my mother who caught the corner of the windshield just under her eye. It was the last time my mother ever took me skiing, and there hasnt been a lot of dumping people at the dock since then either..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
CCxHYPERLITEx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 4:01pm
well while were on the subject...this might not be a BIG deal as your story which is a great one.i was wakeboarding but not only wakeboarding this was the first time ever!well i was up scared to death but happy as all get out just cruisin along.so i decided to be brave and i swung outa the wake...my dad was soo happy the he wouldnt look ahead he keept lookin at me.even though we have a spotter mirror.so the end result is me screaming SHORE.keep in mind this is my first time up i cant cut away from the shore back into the wake!lol so i justfell thats the only thing i could do!luckly no one got hurt boats fine and my dad looks in the spotter mirror now.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 4:51pm
Maybe next time, your Dad can spot and somebody else can drive. Sounds like a proud Dad. Wakeboarding is fun, huh?

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 4:56pm
Joe,

Glad the end result wasn't tragic. I think we all try hard to be safe, but sometimes push the envelope. Anything relating to docks, I stay away from. I know a lot of people used to be into dock starts. I believe it's illegal in most states.

Ken
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 5:08pm
Hey Chris I thought it was those fancy BRA-shocks hanging from the tower slowing you down.... they reminded me of the wind shocks most people display on there boats.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 6:01pm
I can't believe I missed this whole post. What a hoot. I gotta meet Hollywood and PLBC. Hollywood; love that signature!

79; Where ya been ?

Well, to much to comment on-on this post. Not enough time.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

I know a lot of people used to be into dock starts. I believe it's illegal in most states.

Pretty sure those are still legal in Maine.Laws says you must stay 200 feet from shore,except for the purpose of dropping off or starting skiers,in which case you must take the most direct path out to 200 feet.I don't do 'em though,I'm afraid to let my wife drive that close to shore
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 7:37pm
Hey Mike & John,

Glad you guys jumped in this roller coaster of a thread. It became Jerry Springer like for a while. I think we're all on the same page now.

Have you done a beach start, Mike? You have the perfect set up for it. I don't think you're neighbors would be too thrilled.

Ken
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 9:16pm
lets hear it for the new guy and his four page post!

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 10:01pm
     Ken,
We save all that shady stuff for after labor day when 90% of the people are gone.Usually by Mid day on Monday,the locals are all towing from shore.If you want to get out on the water for a cruise before you get your ride back,let me know,mine's back in the water.You and your family are welcome any time.And no,I haven't tried the beach start,but this might be a good time to start thinking about it.

Mike
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

I know a lot of people used to be into dock starts. I believe it's illegal in most states.

Pretty sure those are still legal in Maine.Laws says you must stay 200 feet from shore,except for the purpose of dropping off or starting skiers,in which case you must take the most direct path out to 200 feet.I don't do 'em though,I'm afraid to let my wife drive that close to shore

Hey Mike, why did we get yelled at for being 199 ft from shore???? Still havent figured that out yet

Jeff...
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by 77stang 77stang wrote:

lets hear it for the new guy and his four page post!

My thoughts exactly!! Im jealous!! Lucky if I get a response on my threads!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 11:44pm
Man ,
   .. just got in from the river....(it was great..no traffic) ...reading this post is kinda like reading a mystery novel...not sure where its going next! Thought I'd better get my .02 in...just not sure why? ..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:03am
I was wondering where everybody went until I read this post. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

Now I want to try a dock start.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 7:21am
Originally posted by JEFF KOSTIS JEFF KOSTIS wrote:

hey Mike, why did we get yelled at for being 199 ft from shore???? Still havent figured that out yet

Jeff...

I don't know,but it's almost time for you to make a slalom run through those buoys they put out there in our honor

Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:30am
Hey Mike,

I'd love to hook up with you at some point to go for a cruise/board. I think Fred is thinking about three weeks for my boat. The damage is $5,040.00. Just waiting to hear back from my insurance co.

Sept. will be awesome will all the yahoo's off the lake. It will be nice to ski at Mousam anytime of the day and get great water. We can hook up with Jeff too.

Ken
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Will ...what engine is in the sport to get it to 60 mph, theres not a stock motor that CC ever used that would get them over the lower 50's, and mine out runs quinner's easily.

I beg to differ. My father in law had a 99 super air with the python. we could easily hit the upper 50's   We tried numerous times to get into the 60's but could not. That boat would hall some behind.

Brad
coreytread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 5:53pm
56 was what I got on the gps in a super air with a 502 pcm python.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 5:58pm
51-52 out the old 351 isn't too bad then, don't run accross the 8.1L engine much in a CC and is pretty rare around here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:08pm
There us three Iknow of in a 45 mile radius of me. One on my lake when I did the gps on my boat, the guy who owns the python beast asked if I would check his too. I only can get 43mph out of my boat at the moment. I think its my four blade, I still have some very small bugs to work out so Im hoping for 46-48 with a three blade and some upgrades over the winter.

79nautique running low 50's thats gotta be a hell of a feeling.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:21pm
there are others that can keep up with me and I still have a few more goodies in the works. My heads are still being worked on and the springs are rated for .600 lift so I can always get a different cam as well, and the aluminum exhaust is waiting to be ported and installed too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:24pm
I only have the gt40 heads and electronic ignition installed otherwise im stock, is there anything else thats pretty cheap say 200$ that I can do to make a little extra HP.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:33pm
CAM son CAM,

doesn't make much since to have the nice heads if you cann't take advantage of them. Next get an aluminum intake.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:36pm
haha I know I know, I dont want to take the engine out until the summer is over, than Im going to have to bite the bullet and order a cam. Ive got a whole engine though I could rebuild sitting on a stand only problem its been bored .40 and I dont know about going more. when Im ready to buy a cam and intake Im definitely going to call on you guys. it will be a couple of months, I stay on the water through september easy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:47pm
You don't have to pull the motor to install a new cam all you need to do is pull the pylon, timing cover and intake. It's a day's project or two days tops but then again while the intakes off you might as well replace it too.
2001_Cuz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001_Cuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:53am
As everybody is talking about top end in a Nautique- All I can think about is how well these things track in the upper 30's low 40's. As they were designed to do. However think about catching a chine in one of these things doing 60- Can you say power turn to end all power turns (if you are lucky)- more likely you will barrel roll the boat. I don't want to sound like Saftey Sam here - but I have seen crap like that happen on Lake Winni in NH more then once. Want to go fast - get a Fountain- 60mph will feel like standing still
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:09am
well the power turns are fine at 50mph. I have done several times and it doesn't barrel roll at all. Again it goes back to the conditions and the speed that you can go in those conditions.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 4:20pm
The number of hits on this thread is absolutely nuts! Will, share more of your thoughts.

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 5:38pm
no prob!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 7:05pm
heres one who hates emo kids?maybe just me cause i see em everday at my school but dear god how can you be so ungreatful?and "hate the world"?i mean maybe im just wrong and telling you what i think....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic