NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dilemma.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dilemma.
    Posted: September-06-2006 at 10:04pm
That's a nice job 78...I like it!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 9:16pm
That's exactly how the factory cover on my 210 works.Same cutouts and overlapping velcro around tower.Same velcro overlap to cover rope and clips.
   92-
There is a guy in Shapleigh that could probably modify your cover for you.I had him make 2 covers for me last year and they were both well done and reasonably priced.He is a very "interesting" dude to say the least,but has probably covered half the boats on our area lakes.I have the number if you want it.

Mike
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 9:00pm
Yeah I had a local guy do it after pricing new ones. I dont know how it compares with others but the price was right and it works great. Looks like he added the flaps after cutting the slits so that the two pieces of velcro overlap 100% and lay flat. The drawstring thing is kind of cool he basically un-hemed the cover edge lenghtwise, and velcro-ed that too to make a pocket that will wrap around the string between the two pole cut outs. Just peel this open, unhook the S hook and the drawstring drops out of the way. Good luck on yours!
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 8:32pm
Ah....nice. Basically, cut and hem a slit around the legs, sew the velco to make a tight fit, and rig the draw string with a clip or "S-ring" for easy-on easy-off. Looks like this was done professionally (?). Thanks
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 7:54pm
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 7:31pm
here is one way
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 5:27pm
Speaking of covers, does anyone have any pix of how they modified a stock cover after a wakeboard tower installation? I've got an idea on how its done, but would love to see the actual thing. Thanks
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 3:37pm
Cool, Joe. Thanx for the pics. So I guess a new cover would keep my boat cleaner because it's new and expensive?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 1:56pm
Mostly for Dank...

Here are some pictures of how my cover was modified to attach to and go around the extended pylon. The overlap has velcro on it...

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

That's just like, I ski better on my new ski than my old one because it's new and more expensive.

Exactly. I may be completely wrong,but it makes the most sense to me.But I like new and expensive as much as the next guy,so I can't say anything.

Mike
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 11:30pm
That's just like, I ski better on my new ski than my old one because it's new and more expensive.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 9:34pm
[/QUOTE]...Towers list less because we want them to after spending all that money on one!! Thanks for the insight guys.

Mike[/QUOTE]

nice logic the higher the ticket price the more weight it carries.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by great78 great78 wrote:

2 Nautiques has it right(as do others)however the lever arm is longer on a pole as it attaches to the floor and the tower attaches to the gunnels. torque is force x lever arm so would be greater with a pole.

I disagree. 2_Nautiques has it right. The point of the force is equidistant from the point of rotation (the hull) in both cases. It shouldnt matter how the pylon or tower is attached, as both are attached securely to the hull.

This is what I was wondering after my first posted question.The point of rotation is the same no matter what,so I guess it would make sense that the list would be the same if the tow point was the same distance from the pivot point.It's settled then...Towers list less because we want them to after spending all that money on one!! Thanks for the insight guys.

Mike
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 1:41pm
I agree with Matt and TIm,....great78 is correct about the formula but that is based upon the pivot point which in this case is the hull, so if the pole was slightly higher then yes it could list a ittle more but not that much to make a difference and screwing up the boat looks with a tower that doesn't match that well. I've only seen one that was custom made that looks good on that hull all other are disporportional and doesn't flow with the lines of the boat looks bad IMHO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by great78 great78 wrote:

2 Nautiques has it right(as do others)however the lever arm is longer on a pole as it attaches to the floor and the tower attaches to the gunnels. torque is force x lever arm so would be greater with a pole.

I disagree. 2_Nautiques has it right. The point of the force is equidistant from the point of rotation (the hull) in both cases. It shouldnt matter how the pylon or tower is attached, as both are attached securely to the hull.
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 1:17pm
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 9:26am
the kid and i were discussing a topic for his science project. i think we found it.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 8:31am
05 210 - to address your question, as the boarder pulls to the side there is a down force from the tower that is transfered to the side of the boat, however don't forget that on the oppisite side of the boat there is also an upward force trying to pull that side of the boat out of the water. With everything attached to the boat, it doesn't matter how it is attached it only matters how far from the center of gravity the pull is generated (how high the tow point). Just my .02$
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 7:39am
skicat and Dchris. Not trying to be a smarta$$, and I would really like to know the answer to this question...and...since both of you must be engineers...having the torque generated below the boats Vertical Center of Gravity (VCG) with a Pole or above the VCG with a Tower could possibly be the difference.

I take no credit for my Towers design since I basically scaled down a CC design (see recent post) and started welding. But I did notice that compared to other designs, the geometry of the legs will try to place load on all 4 supports. If you take a look at the Tower I built you could do pull-ups from the Tow Point on the shop floor (not bolted down)without the thing turning over. The point being was the geometric nature of the design tries to load all four supports when in use. When transfering some of the "pull out" load to both sides of the boat..even a small amount on the high side..the list is reduced.

I basically scaled down the CC design to fit my small boat...I think the Engineer who designed their Tower really knew what he was doing. The CC design is not just an elevated Tow Point...some smart guy sat down and did some head scratchin'.

A factor much greater than Pole vs Tower is the width of your boat. Mine is a narrow 16' Tow boat. IMHO a wider model (like a Martinique) will do well with either a Tower or Pole since it's a lot wider than my ride.

You can build your own...a lot of us have...but believe me, it's a lot more work than you think. Building is simple as well as installation, but there is so much more to it than just that. The Companies that do this for Profit IMHO don't charge enough. I buitl my own Tower because it's the kind of thing I like to do. Labor or Love!

Hope this made sense!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 11:18pm
   I'm curious about this.Do you think the boat would list more because with a pole you are putting a side load on directly above the point of attachment,whereas with a tower,maybe some of that side load is lost thru the bends in the tower and transformed into some form of downforce?Does that even make sense?

Mike
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 8:33pm
No hint Tate. I don't recall what your boat looked like. All I was saying is that if you took the time and effort to restore it to orignal, then my vote would be go for the pole so it stays that way. I'm sure your boat looks great. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 8:12pm
92 I looked at monster. They are good looking. If I do it I'll probobly go that route. BKH, hint taken. I realize that my def. of restore vs. some of the talented guys on this site are probobly very different. The boat looks great now. All I can say is you should have seen the "boat" I pulled home.
Tate
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 7:50pm
Now that we've taken care of the physics questions, go for the tower! They really do add another dimension to the boat. I'm partial to Monster Towers for older boats (lets say... pre '95). Nothing beats FCT for newer boats('96+). I've never heard of anyone regetting installing an after market tower.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Mojoman Mojoman wrote:

QUESTION, Not to threadjack, but do most states have a problem with towers/skylons and running at night with conventional aft, deck anchor lights?? Don't anchor lights have to be at the tallest point on the boat? If so, all these "add-on" aftermarket towers don't come with a retrofit or anchor light option, or at least what I've seen available?????

Just wondering..
Moj'

Mojo,

That is an interesting question, my 99' came from the factory with a tower and a conventional stern light and my 05' came with the light on the tower.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 6:42pm
It's still going to roll, tower or no tower. I say, if you restored it, go with the pole. If you fixed it up, go with the tower. My $.02. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 6:37pm
Thanks guys. I'm as confused as ever. I don't want the boat to roll but at the same time I don't want to ruin the look of the boat after an 18 mo. restoration(still not finished).
Tate
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 4:49pm
QUESTION, Not to threadjack, but do most states have a problem with towers/skylons and running at night with conventional aft, deck anchor lights?? Don't anchor lights have to be at the tallest point on the boat? If so, all these "add-on" aftermarket towers don't come with a retrofit or anchor light option, or at least what I've seen available?????

Just wondering..
Moj'
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 4:42pm
Joe, that would be cool. Shoot me some pics when you get a chance: kruzie @ gmail . com   I'll need to do some cover repair before too long...maybe I'll incorporate that in.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 4:33pm
From a mechanical engineering perspective, I have to agree with the sentiment that the listing SHOULD be the same regardless of whether you use a tower or a pole. That's the way the physics work, at least at the level of understanding you get from college level static/dynamic force cla$$es. There is a difference in the amount of torque exerted at the attachement points, but I don't know why that would affect the tendency of the boat to roll.

That said, my experience is the same as BK's. Boats with towers rock less. I can't explain why. I didn't believe it until I bought a tower and put it on my boat (not my M17). Everything I studied in college tells me it shouldn't matter, but it does.

Aesthetically, I wouldn't have any problem putting a tower on your 80 Martinique. I have seen a Martinique with a tower on it and I think it looks great. Since it's open bow, it kind of looks like all the other open bow ski/wake boats.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 4:12pm
I will have to disagree with that poster. There is no pivot point. If the pylon & the tower are both attached to the boat in a rigid manner & both have the same height to the pulling point, the roll of the boat should be the same. There will be an increased stress on the attachment point of the pylon compared to the tower because of the single attachment point compared to the 4 points of the tower.
Greg

86 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic