NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo & Depth finder on 88’ 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo & Depth finder on 88’ 2001
    Posted: July-30-2007 at 6:57pm
I've seen several posts and questions on where to put a stereo or depth finder on a 2001. I've included pic's of both. The head unit just clears the stearing column when inserted but looks great there and easy acess to controls. Only thing I wished that I had done was install a rain cover or marine grade unit as I'm on the 2nd one as a nose plunge shorted out the display on the previous one. Did buy a second SONY which made the swap out complete in 5 minutes. I modified the rear seat area on both sides to include a speaker location, cup/ski lube holder, and cubby hole for whatever.

I used a piece of aluminum for the mount bracket for the Depth Gage display and just screwed it in under the dash.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 11:37am
MorFoot, thats where the dealer installed my radio when I bought the boat new works great there. To install the depth sounder, I removed the clock and put it in that guage hole my radio has a clock in it.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:21pm
My knee would be gashed if I had a gauge mounted there.....
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:40pm
My knee as well...and my radio is in the back of my glove box
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 1:35pm
You guys must be Dancing in the seat or big fella's cause my knee NEVER hits it and I'm a 178 lb, 40 yr old, blonde balding guy.

I got too much junk to store to put a radio un the glove box. Wallets, phones, leathermans, hair scruntchies (3 girls) etc,etc,etc.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

You guys must be Dancing in the seat or big fella's cause my knee NEVER hits it and I'm a 178 lb, 40 yr old, blonde balding guy.

I got too much junk to store to put a radio un the glove box. Wallets, phones, leathermans, hair scruntchies (3 girls) etc,etc,etc.

Hey-

I am not criticizing your mounting location, it is just a thought. A better location would be next to the driver seat facing straight up if it will fit. I find I'm jumping out of the driver seat a lot since I teach a lot of people skiing stuff. My NMMA panel is all scratched up from my knee brace.

Tim
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:01pm
None taken... I considered putting it in the clock location but I'ma " Keep it original" kinda guy like Pete. I've never had a problem with it and I know a few of us don't want to fool with removing the clock.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:40pm
I'm 6'2" and about 195...and I have to slip into the seat as it is

PO had a radio stolen from the location shown here...that's where I'm gonna put the finder

I have an ugly radio hole in the dash now

but it doesn't look like there's anything to steal either   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 3:15pm
Morfoot,
You're going to have the same problem with that car radio blowing up without a waterproof cover over it... Do yourself a favor and pull it out and throw the cover
over it !!!

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 8:33pm
Yeah thanks Moj,I probably should or at least make a slip on cover for it. It's garage kept and I throw a couple of towels over it every night if we do mange to go camping. Like I mentioned had a Automotive one installed originally till the nose dive took out the display after the wall of water came up and over the windsheild. Held up for 4 years until that. even then it still worked just didn't know what station was on.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 1:38am
Just installed a stereo under the Correct Craft emblem on my 85. Am I going to catch grief for cutting the dash? The PO had a stereo under the dash directly below the steering column. I've got scrapes on my right thigh as a result. My 85 BFN is pretty spartan, no glove box and little storage. The rear speakers are set up like Morfoot's.
I've got a 200 watt Dual marine stereo with iPod interface, a set of JBL marine speakers, and a waterproof see through cover. Sounds great. $220
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 9:40pm
I put mine in the middle of dash on 92SN.

Like above I removed the hour meter and moved it to a bracket I fab off the alt. all correct wires already there.Then added the depth sounder in that hole.

Munday
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic