NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! prop shaft hard to turn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! prop shaft hard to turn.
    Posted: July-30-2012 at 11:16pm
In what order and steps do you take to locate why the prop shaft is hard to turn?
What is the easiest and least expensive thing to check first? Second? Third? Fourth?
Or maybe its, what is the most likely cause?
I would like to get out on the water!
So let's just stick to this one thread for now.

1997 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 11:59pm
Did you lubricate the cutlass bearing in the strut first?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 11:59pm
Didn't I ask you about the alignment and provide you a link to the alignment video? Check your previous posts and my responses.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 12:08am
Joe - From what you have said, I bet you have a bent strut. Look at the back of the boat from about 10 feet back - is the prop centered with the rudder & fins? You can also measure from each chine in to the strut.

Certainly pull the couplings loose & see where the shaft wants to be when it loosens up.

Gary - He can't hardly turn it when the boat is in the water. It is bound up!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 12:11am
Saying I told you so is considered boorish and bad manners.

Something is bent or crooked or rotten or out of alignment or any or all or a combination of all the above.
The fastest and easiest way is to get somebody who knows what they are looking at to have a gander then fix it. If speed is the major concern, then money must by default be secondary.

Follow his link for the alignment 101 production for a start anyway. I guess, better than nothing. Hard to align a bent strut or shaft though.

As they say in Main: hard tellin' not knowin'
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 12:13am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Our water is so low that even when the boats in it's dry
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 12:31am

Joe - From what you have said, I bet you have a bent strut. Look at the back of the boat from about 10 feet back - is the prop centered with the rudder & fins? You can also measure from each chine in to the strut.

Certainly pull the couplings loose & see where the shaft wants to be when it loosens up.

where is the coupling and how do you take it apart?
1997 Sport Nautique
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 12:46am
OK, now what?
1997 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 12:54am
Joe - the coupling is at the rear of the transmission, where the shaft ends. You need to remove the 4 screws. The halves may be stuck together - if so use a putty knife or similar & tap with hammer to separate them. You can also put some penetrating oil on the joint.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 1:29am
The rudder stuffing box looks ok!
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 7:58am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by jo-e90 jo-e90 wrote:

Have you ever done an alignment?

Chris sure has. In fact, he is one of our members who has straightened his own strut. Many have taken on the alignment the first time. Maybe a few questions but typically not a problem once they understand the concept.

Since it's hard to turn your prop and shaft even with 2 hands, you MUST address the problem (bent strut? strut out of alignment to the log? bent prop shaft? or engine out?) before you run it that way. As mentioned, you do not want to damage the trans. With a prop shaft that's out of alignment to the engine, the condition puts stress on the trans. Internal damage is common. DO NOT wait until October!!!

Alignment 101 video

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 9:56am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Not as much as internet man-codling
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 4:24pm

finally got the coupling loose with an air chisel. Transmission side spins smooth. Shaft side of coupling turns just as hard as before, so I assume the motor does not need adjustment.
Should I remove the packing nut now?
1997 Sport Nautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Not as much as internet man-codling

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 4:38pm
The coupling face must be flat. Be sure the air tool didn't alter that.

You have isolated the problem; it's between the coupler and shaft as you noted. Now you have to go through the components therein and further isolate the problem. Did you sight the running gear like Chris said? I say that because of the coupler position in the pic.

Also, do I see an old shaft-coupler position on the shaft? It may be a poster child for fretting?

Have you made friends with the search feature yet?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Also, do I see an old shaft-coupler position on the shaft? It may be a poster child for fretting?

Yup, there sure is a problem with that coupling! I can see the rust color smut from it fretting.

The way that shaft pulled sideways, I'd bet money on a bent strut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 4:50pm

The way that shaft pulled sideways, I'd bet money on a bent strut.

Thus the sighting comment.
1988 BFN-sold

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 5:05pm
Joe, since people feel it is most likely the bent strut, take it loose and see how the shaft acts in just the log. There are four bolts in the bilge between the log and the rudder. based on the way the shaft is sitting it is probably bent to starboard.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:06pm
Considering the fretting at the coupling to prop shaft, the heat shrink fit is shot. Since you may not have been doing searches to find previous stated info, I'd like to remind you the this heat shrink fit is .000" to a -.0005". If the shaft is still good, you will at least need a new coupling half for it. Have it bored to match the shaft. Then, it's pressed onto the shaft, the shaft is chucked up in the lathe and a light cut is taken on the coupling face. This ensures the face runs true with the shaft.

The alternate is to purchase the ARE shaft system. It makes the R&R LOTS easier!! If you go this route, give Billy or Karen a call for the ARE.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:10pm
Exactly. The shaft might be trying to go even further to port, and is blocked by the log or hull!

Strut needs to come out.

And, the engine always needs adjustment! But thats last.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:15pm
I didn't see it mentioned, I would first roll the shaft to see if the coupler moved arounf if the struts bent the shaft probably is too.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:18pm

The alternate is to purchase the ARE shaft system. It makes the R&R LOTS easier!! If you go this route, give Billy or Karen a call for the ARE.

Who are Billy and Karen?
1997 Sport Nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:22pm
boat dr / boat nurse, also your best friends. HAHA

mynautiqueparts.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by jo-e90 jo-e90 wrote:

finally got the coupling loose with an air chisel. Transmission side spins smooth. Shaft side of coupling turns just as hard as before, so I assume the motor does not need adjustment.

Hopefully the trans is still OK. Time will tell when you get the boat back on the water. That's a BIG misalignment for the tail end of the trans to handle. If you are lucky, the boat wasn't run for very long with the condition.

Don't assume the engine is where it should be. You will know when you get the shaft and strut taken care of. Yes, as mentioned many times in previous threads as well as in the alignment 101 video, Alignment starts at the strut.

The trans spinning smooth is NOT an indication of it's condition. Without the engine running and driving the pump to build hydraulic pressure, neither of the clutch packs are engaged.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:23pm
Billy aka the boat doctor is a regular here and Karen his wife the boat nurse own this.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:26pm
D/N.G.
We are trying our best here to steer you in the correct direction. However, through all your posts and our answers, I have gotten the feeling you are not listening nor reading. Sorry!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

mynautiqueparts.com

Come on Justin!!!
Even though Gary posted the link, here it is again

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:48pm

mynautiqueparts.com

Come on Justin!!!
Even though Gary posted the link, here it is again

I wasnt trying to post a link more of an informative statement, figured he could type that into google or something
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:54pm

I wasnt trying to post a link more of an informative statement, figured he could type that into google or something

Well, as mentioned, he does have some issues with reading and following directions! It's cool. I understood what you were doing but I'm not sure if he picked up on it??? With 2 links to Billy and Karen, I hope we made it easy?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 7:13pm
Do not use the air chisel on the strut, in fact don't use it on the boat ever again! (unless directed by CCF)
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic