NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
LakeHoliday View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 Mustang
    Posted: March-19-2007 at 2:00pm
Okay, I'll start my own thread now.

This is the 1967 Mustang I'm looking at:
1967 Mustang

Question, did the '67 Mustang have a rope bar on it? I see in the '68 brochure pics that it has a small one, but in the photo of the one I'm looking at (the blue '67), there are no mounting holes. Was that an option or does it mount some way I'm not seeing? I've seen photos of other '68s that have a long bar all the way across the back that is much different than in the brochure pics. But, not many good pics of the back ends of these boats (and not sure what's original and what's not).

I do plan on pulling skiers and my kids on tubes behind this... and I would think a rope would tear things up on the back if there wasn't a bar there. Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know why the photos I'm finding show two different styles of windshields for the '67 and '68 Mustangs? Did CC use both styles or mid-year change? The '68 in TRBenj's photos has a different windshield than is shown in the '68 brochure (brochure pic is the same windshield that the '67 Mustang I'm looking at has).

If it's okay with everyone, I'll just continue this thread as I think of things to ask. If anyone wants to jump in and offer suggestions on things I haven't thought of yet, please do so.

Thanks,
Brice
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 2:11pm
Our '68 had a "rope bar" like all the boats pictured below:

I had thought the windshields used on the Mustang through '68 were 1 piece like this:

However, looking through the diaries shows many earlier Mustangs to have a similar split-pane winshield like this one:

ReidP may know the story behind these.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Our '68 had a "rope bar" like all the boats pictured below:

Thanks! That's what I was thinking and that's what the '68 brochure shows too - I sure wish there was a '67 brochure available but I should be able to get one once it's dug out of storage. How does that bar mount? I don't see any mounting holes on the back of the '67 I'm looking at. Anyone know where I might find one of those original rope bars or if the '67 even had one?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 2:54pm
I love this brochure photo of the '68.
1968 Mustang Brochure Photo

It shows the split-pane window and rope bar as well (looks like it just bolts onto the back). Do they really look like that flying through the water?

Question, can anyone describe the differences between the 1967 and 1968 Mustangs?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 3:37pm
Our 66 Mustang did not have the rope bar. Only one of the six 67s in the diaries has one and it appears to ba a non factory add-on, so my guess would be the 67s did not have one and that 68 was the first year. No, things in the back do not get torn up without it. I wouldn't worry about finding one.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 4:01pm
During these years the pylon was an option correct? So it makes sense that if the boat didn't come with one, then it probably wasn't going to come with the rope guard ?????

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 4:26pm
I think the windsheild with the bar in the middle is glass and the one without is plexiglass.
Scott
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 10:19pm
Brice If your friend has a lot of these old brochures , I would be more than very interested in buying one from 1959 for my 59 atom skier . Let me know !

Thanks,   Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 10:31pm
Pat, I'll do my best to talk him out of any and all brochures he can dig up. He said he had boxes of them in storage. I'm not sure what year he started selling boats, but I'll find out.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 7:03am
Lake,

Maybe if your friend is wanting to keep his brochures he would be willing to scan them and allow the scanned copies to be used on this site.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 9:02am
Chuck, I'll do my best. It'll probably be a couple weekends before I get back over there and I'm sure he'll be pretty busy coming up on this season (he also farms 150+ acres) besides running the marine sales shop. But I'll let everyone know what I come up with and what I can make available.

- Brice
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 9:23am
Okay, back to the seats... we believe the original seats only faced forward and this Mustang may not have had the "ski package" as no pylon or way to mount one (although there was a hole for it) came with it. Does anyone have a '67 with forward facing only seats or did the "ski package" include seats that faced either direction?

I'll be picking up the '67 Mustang soon and may not be able to do much interior work right away, but you never know how motivated I might just get.

My plan for this Mustang is to keep it as original as possible (finishing the restoration - new gel coat... no paint) while also maintaining a little added functionality. I like the drink holders and they as well as the center console are removable. Brian did an excellent job keeping this Mustang so it could be returned to bone stock if needed. No additional holes were drilled anywhere to mount "extras" that are non-stock. The motor on the other hand will probably never go back to a stock 289. A friend of mine has already offered to build me a new 302 (he's a big-time Mustang car fan)... although he's suggesting putting 351C heads on it (aka, BOSS 302) if they'll fit width wise under the slightly raised motor cover. Has anyone put 351C heads on their Windsors yet? Thoughts on this?

By the way, IF I were to ever do this and could do it keeping the boat "looking" stock... would 400+ HP in a 1,600 lb. Mustang leave me with a motor pushing me across the lake and a pile of fiberglass splinters left behind in the wake?

Those of you with built-up motors... what tranny are you running?

Thanks again,
Brice
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 9:42am
Brice, I have tried real hard to have a stock appearing boat,1964 Am. Skier,old stye looks.
The power plant is another subject:
331 stroker w/ all the goodys,tow boats are a different world than 1/4 mile drag cars.
I built my stroker for torque,aka tractor.The hull design is not happy to pushed above 55 mph.
Your idea of a high rpm motor,Boss 302,w/ big valves, large ports, lottsa high rpm horsepower,in my opinion,is the wrong chain of thought for that old boat.
Most on this site have made mods to our motors,while increasing HP, you also increase torque,be careful and don't create a beast that will bite the hand that built it..................boat dr
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 9:55am
Thanks boat dr. That's what I was looking for. For all I know, this is going to be plenty of motor for me for a long time to come. Just get me talking motors and I regress to my 1/4 mile days and helping squeeze an extra 1 or 2 horse out of a motor by icing down the fuel lines before a run. Most of my racing though was SCCA Autocross Solo II in a '89 Mustang w/ 5.0L (bone stock). The world of boats is relatively new to me... I don't want to cross the line but it sure can be fun moving right along it.

So, what would you recommend for a prop? I'm pretty sure this has the original prop on it but I'm not 100% sure. Do you know what the original prop would be?

Thanks for the advice.
- Brice
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 10:12am
Brice, could be wrong here, if so someone will shoot me down. My '64 had a 12x12,after major mods I have progressed to a 13x14 Austrel 4 blade.
You will see a lot of talk here about the Acme 540, kinda like women,to each his own.
I have tried a lot of props,OJ 13x13 Forcefour is a good pulling prop good speed, just too fragile for La. water.Have a good one for sale if you want,was a take offafter the stroker,too many R's.......boat dr
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 10:13am
8370, Both the single and 2 piece windshields were plexi. The 2 piece were used in the later years.

There really wasn't a ski "package". You would order the pylon as a option and the dealer in most cases would install it.

The rope gaurds were simply a piece of half round aluminun about a 1/2" wide. They would get bent very easily!! Mounting was with 4 screws into the deck through the half round where it lies flat to the deck.

All Mustangs I've seen had bucket seats. I don't remember ever seeing one with the middle or side split bench seat like the Barracuda. The buckets however are reversable for a observers seat.

The pylons of that era were scarry compared to todays standards. I installed several back in my Watercraft Sales days and they were simply pinned to a bracket on the keel and then went through a hole in the plywood floor with no flange or bolts.

Lake, Listen to the Doc regarding engine mods. Boats need torque and HP curves different than cars. I'm glad to here you want to keep the Mustang as close to original as possible.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 10:46am
Welcome Brice,
      I have 67 mustang as well, still in need of gelcote and an interior, but pretty far along in the engine development stages. It has a rebuilt .30 over 302 at this point, gt40p cylinder heads worked with new springs and larger than stock valves, edelbrock intake, carb, cam, ported/polished aluminum commander style exhaust manifolds, dual 3 inch exhaust, performance distributors DUI, scorpion alum roller rockers, and a bunch of stuff I can't remember but was documented here on various threads. I have had no problems with the tranny as of yet, and I run either an OJ XMP or an ACME 540. It goes I dunno how fast, but it sure gets there quick and scares the driver the passengers and pretty much all onlookers which are assured by the rediculous noise it makes. It is a disease and there is no cure.

My advice, if you plan on skiing a lot wakeboarding, etc, crusing around in the early morning or late night, letting friends and family drive it, leave it basically stock, even stock that boat is loud and proud and demands attention. If you are looking for a look_at_me occasional cruiser go crazy, we can help.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 11:44pm
Well, it sounds like it's just going to be a blast no matter what. I found out tonight the windshield on this Mustang is glass, not plexi. I'll be taking possession of her very soon and then I'm sure the real fun will begin.

Yes, I'll be looking for some parts and probably a lot of advice.

Does anyone have an extra (and correct for a '67 Mustang) starboard "Correct Craft" emblem as this one is missing a C.

Thanks,
Brice
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 6:11am
Brice, So you must have the split windshield and 8370 is correct that they were glass and not plexi. Sorry for me misinforming you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 7:18am
Originally posted by LakeHoliday LakeHoliday wrote:

Does anyone have an extra (and correct for a '67 Mustang) starboard "Correct Craft" emblem as this one is missing a C.

Good luck with that one Brice. They are scarce as hens teeth around here and frequently the subject of a search. You can buy plastic reproductions from white lake marina but since you have 99% of your original ones, I'm guessing you don't want to do that. Post an ad in parts wanted and keep your eye on parts for sale. Pretty much the only way to get them is when someone decides to part out a boat. I think I might recall someone casting reproductions but I don't recall the details.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 7:44am
The two piece windshield was an upgrade on the Mustangs and Skylarks. The standard windshield was one piece.

The rope guide was part of the pylon option.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The two piece windshield was an upgrade on the Mustangs and Skylarks. The standard windshield was one piece. The rope guide was part of the pylon option.

Do you happen to have a brochure for the '67 Mustang? I'd be very interested in the name of the blue color as well as what other options (engine, etc.) were available.

Thanks,
- Brice
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 5:12am
I don't think there was a 67 brochure. Some 67's look like the boats in the 66 brochure, and some look like the boats in the 68. Check out the reference section. There's really good stuff there for those two years.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 9:20am
Well, if there is no brochure, that makes things a bit more interesting.

By the way, since this had a 302 Interceptor put in it at some time during the 70's... does anyone know what year(s) the 302 Interceptor was used?

Any help on identifying the year of the engine or anything else about it? I don't have it yet (hoping to pick up the Mustang this weekend) so I can't get numbers off the engine, but just curious if anyone knows anything about this one.

Thanks again,
Brice
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 9:46am
Looking at that boat, I think it would be most similar to the 66 brochure and sell sheets.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 9:21pm
Brice,
More than likely, the boat came with a 289 Interceptor, and only the short or long block was changed. The 302 as a complete new engine package, was only available from Interceptor, I believe, in 69 and 70, as Interceptor ceased to exist after that. You can find the casting numbers on your block, but they will not tell you the exact age of the engine, only the year that that particular casting was begun. So find those and we can tell you that the engine is "no older" than the particular casting date, but it could certainly be newer. The alum intake on that boat is definitely late 60's-mid 70's vintage, sold as an Edelbrock F4B and even over-counter from Ford, and definitely a nice HP piece.

Riley's right on track regarding the windshield and rope guide.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 11:17pm
I have a copy from Correct Craft,the original spec sheet from the 68 Mustang SS.It shows the "Clearance bar" was an option for $10.50 installed.The ski pull was 75.00 and a stereo tape player 4 track ? was 197.95. You can see my clearance bar in my before picture and what is left of the standard 2 piece glass windshield,for the SS anyway.My clearance bar is made of stainless,I'll post a picture of it later,it's not on right now,it's too hard to climb over when getting in.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 4:45am
Gary S I'm sure is correct that the rope bar is stainless and not aluminum as I mentioned in a earlier post. I really couldn't remember if it was SS or aluminum. It sure wouldn't be hard to bend up by hand.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 8:43am
The bar on my 1977 Ski Tique is Alum and was bent when I got the boat from ones pulling up boarding or from pulling something. Was not hard to correct.
The holes for the mounting brackets were also enlarged.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 9:19am
Sreve, The rope bars were changed to a tubular aluminum after the 60's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic