Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gut Job

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

Take your motor out instead of spending hours working around it.

I'd love to. Unfortunately I can't get the engine hoist that I was hoping to line up. I've been thinking about fabbing one out of lumber. No   seriously I probably will have to fab one.   
87' 2001
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 11:11pm
You can rent engine hoists just about anywhere.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 11:12pm
Build your cradle then go rent one.   Got a buddy with a Bobcat? Once i had everything unbolted, i only ended up using for 20 minutes max.
Just because you can does not mean you should.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 1:41pm
Just pulled the motor on my Ski Tique. First time i'd ever pulled a motor so I was a little over cautious. Used our little bobcat and had no problems.

I'd suggest pulling the motor, it will make life much easier and the motor will stay clean
Matt R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 6:25pm
Just a thought Stevenson lumber in Adrian Mi. has 3 bunks off doug fir.2#. 2X10X24 2X10X20 and 2x10x18 ph#517-265-5151
Matt R.
Matt R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 6:26pm
2x10x24 $27.00
Matt R.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 7:15pm
That is per foot is it not? If it is $27 for a whole board then let me know I will bring a trailer!!!
Keep in mind you want Clear fir as it has not any Knots!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 7:24pm
Looks like it is per 2 ft (24")
Matt R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 7:43pm
IT has some knots,it is #2 bord, the stringers in my 80 SN that i removed had sum knot it lasted 30 years. And that is $27.00 a board
Matt R.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 9:49pm
Thanks but Adrian is about 11 hours south. I'm in the sticks guys, the nearest place to rent one is 100 miles away. It would be cheaper to buy one from Auto Value but I feel like getting Mid-Evil on it and building something that that might resemble a gallow but on Casters so I can slide it.
87' 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 10:20pm
It sounds like you might have missed this thread:

Redneck Engine Hoist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2010 at 12:16am
Thanks for the reminder. I have came across that thread a few times now. I'm going for the swing set look but mobile.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 12:38am
Finally removed the engine this Sunday. I finished my "project Goliath". That's what I ended up calling my engine hoist. I'm slowly chipping away at it. Here's some of the latest pics.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2011 at 1:46am
I'm trying to go get my project moving along again. I'm trying to go from a plywood floor and incorrectly built stringers to something that looks like this. The problem is that I have nothing to go off of. So starting from the rear can anyone tell me where this is located and how far back from this the rise for the gas tank is? Then, what is the dimension of the removable hatch? It would really be nice to get some dimensions on these..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2011 at 8:59pm
Has anyone documented the dimensions of an 87' stringers in the past year?
87' 2001
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2011 at 9:13pm
Roger, Are you having problems with the primaries you have in the boat now? I ask because although not original in shape, something unoriginal might work just as well.

Your biggest factors are making sure they fit the motor mounts correctly for proper width and then allowing enough room to move the mounts up and down to center them on the shaft log/strut.

I've seen a few modified designs on boats that received new stringers and they've worked just fine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 11:13am
Chris is right. If your engine was in the correct place (align-able) then just get the stringer height under the cradle correct and you'll be fine. The rear removable panel needs to be long enough to reach from the engine to the gas tank. That rear support under the panel is optional- personally, I would leave it out. If you put it in, just locate it such that it doesnt interfere with adjusting your packing gland. The gas tank supports need to be under the gas tank... the tank can only be located in one spot- which is where the filler neck lines up with the hole in the deck.

Really, so long as you know where the engine needs to end up, you can pretty much make up the rest as you go along. No old patterns necessary.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 11:25am
I emailed him images and measurement of all my old stringers so if he really wanted to match it up, he probably could. Assuming they were the same between our years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 1:20am
Justin I must apologize. I went back and checked my email and found your drawings. THANK YOU. Some how I over looked them or when I transferred them to my files they did not copy. But I have what I need now.   

My current set up doesn't have the cross member for the removable hatch. If you are going to sack out your boat I would definitely recommend making sure this piece is in your rebuild. Mine panel was easily sagged 1" in the middle. I was always scared that one day enough weight would be on it to drop it in on the drive shaft.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I'm so excited that my build can get back on track.
87' 2001
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:31am
I was as precise as I could be on those measurements, but obviously some of my old wood was a little rotten and corners missing a little of the tops etc. If you follow that it should get you really close, as I used my old ones for templates and my new ones went in with a little planing. But obviously the main pieces are the stringer lengths and heights etc. The little notches that are cutout dont need to be as precise as they are just for the pieces of wood that go in for floor support.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 3:25pm
different hull for sure, but nwz didn´t have a cross member below the removable panel, it sat holded by an aluminum L frame bolted to the stringers. my old one was rotted and some delaminantion in the corners but it was quite solid when you steped on it..
it had no glass at all, just the carpet on top, and bare on the bilge side...
new panel received glass on both sides...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 3:20pm
Does anyone have a Picture of their stringer project showing the front half of the boat right before foam would go in. I'm @ the boat and I have some discrepancies with measurements on the front half of the primaries. Maybe with some views of the framing I can figure it out. Mainly in the area of the steps the would be around the battery box and wher the Piece of plywood would go.
87' 2001
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 4:03pm
mine was pretty much right where the lip of the batter box was. My battery box lip sat on the piece of plywood. Did you save any of the old floor for a template? Im not sure how crucial this is. As long as its close and everything fits.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 4:33pm
what he said :)

Here is my collection to all of my rebuild images if that helps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11202092@N03/sets/72157612169227615/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 9:56pm
Unfortunately my boat was already remodeled once so I have nothing that is origianal to make fit. Here's a picture that I'm trying to rebuild off of. I have a couple of issues with it though that I could use some help with. The bottom stringer in the picture is the primary, if I start with a 6" piece of wood at the stern and work my way forward with the dimensions shown, then by the time I get up to the 7" space for the rear motor mount I would be down to only 2" of "meat" on the stringer. Or...is the 2" jog at the rear built up with 2" on top of the 6", or is the 2" rise really a 1" rise. Something just doesn't seem right. Also the primary is drawn short of what it is. I think it should go 32" or so farther forward but that's not what the drawing i've been given shows. Question: If the front of the stringer does get one more rise for roughly 32" how high is it? 1/2"??
87' 2001
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 10:09pm
I didn't like the idea of the stringers just stopping so I made a bulk head to attach them to. I cut a notch as a lip to accept the new floor so they would be flush.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 10:16pm
A 2x6 isn't wide enough.
The 2"x15" at the stern is for the tank supports to sit on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 10:23pm
I'm using 2x8 so it's actualy 7.25".. so your saying it is 6 at the rear? If so that would mean that one of the dimensions forward for the motor mounts or something must be shorter of a notch than shown on the drawing.

I also notice on the drawing the secondary stringer notches are only .5" deep. Should these be .75" for a 1x in the rear and .5" up front for the plywood?
87' 2001
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 2:15am
I can get you all the measurements and pics you need of an 84 tomorrow. I have ripped out everything and tomorrow am taking out the stringers. I plan to measure and document everything before it is all out.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 2:58am
that would be great!
87' 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic