Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeffs 1988 BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by BFNSport BFNSport wrote:

What if any precautions did you take with the bottom of your hull while working on it?

We braced our BFN at the chine right near the windshield, and again at the transom. We also blocked the keel in 2 or 3 places. Once supported, we brought the trailer up to the hull as a brace, though it didnt really hold much (if any) weight- it was there to prevent flexing. Id repost my picture, but Im not allowed!

I will let you post pictures or is it top secret squire stuff
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 11:47am
oops double posted
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 11:47am

**Sorry for the thread jack**

I know most of the guys here use US composites to get their rebuild stuff but just for the sake of asking has anyone used or heard of Raka.com?

I was talking with one of the new guy's in the shop who is building a woody from scratch and suggested Raka instead of US. I'm just throwing this out there. Pete, Tim, Joe any of you guy's hear of them?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 12:20pm
Ive heard of Raka, but never used them. Maybe it was Pete who brought them up?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 1:08pm
I have never heard anything bad about RAKA, some people feel it is better to work with and has the same finished qualities.. the extra cost is not huge. I just orded another few hundred pounds of stuff from US composites so I guess I am not exactly a convert yet but I may try Raka at some point.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 1:31pm
It wasn't I who mentioned RAKA!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 8:58pm
Is 1708 going to be strong enough for the floor (over foam?)
I also had to remove all the hull glass my plan was to run 50” wide down the center then 50” wide down each side overlapping in the bilge .I’m not sure I like the bilge overlap but..
And if I have read correctly biax too wrap the stringers and cloth to finish. Running 2” ,4”8” my question is do I run tis parallel with the stringer or do I cut small strips and drape over diagonally going one way then the next up and down the stringer?
2002 CC Ski Nautique
1988 CC Barefoot Nautique
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 12:09am
Run parallel with the stringers. Long, uninterrupted lengths are stronger than a bunch of pieces.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 12:47am
Is the tape 2,4,8 cloth or biax? US Composites does not sell a biax in the 2,4,8 sizes.
In Turbos thread it was listed" 2,4,8 biax 12"over the top".Is it cloth tape than 12" biax to cap it off?

And I found 1708 that is described as "soft" it wont go vertical but will lay flat. Sound ok?
Jeff
2002 CC Ski Nautique
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 12:16am
Well finally got the hull peeled

2002 CC Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 12:35am
How did you peel the gelcoat off? Grinder? You did a nice job!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 10:18am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

How did you peel the gelcoat off? Grinder? You did a nice job!

Thanks
I hiered it out the guy came to my house 3hrs later he was done.The tool is called a Gelplane made in the UK pretty pricey .I wish I had it when I did the inside of the boat alot less grinding and very little dust.
Some lite sanding and fairing and should be ready to spray the Gel on.
It was nice sweeped up with a broom when he was done.
Jeff
2002 CC Ski Nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 11:48am
wow I gotta get me one of those!!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 6:37pm
Thanks for posting Jeff... makes a real nice job... I found a YouTube clip..
Sorry about the accent we all don't speak that well.

At £1890 with our tax its not cheep...I think some of us will be thinking how can I make one..
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic