NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Super Sucker needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2010 at 2:09pm
Alan,
All I've got are some photos of when I got it off the island where it called home since the 20's. We did it in winter because it really may not float!! I pulled a trailer over with the tractor on the ice, flipped the launch upside down on some 4x4's, strapped it down and hauled it home about a mile. I've got to get some digitals or scans. I do have some interesting duplicates of old black and whites taken in the late 20's. They came from the islands caretakers daughter. There are a couple showing it pushing their barge over to the island with horses on it. This launch is strictly utility and will be restored as such. It's not one you typically see at shows or in Classic Boating or the Rudder.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2010 at 4:22pm
I see you also got yourself a mityvac. Good choice Pete, you will really like it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2010 at 9:53pm
Gary,
I've had a cheapo electric Warshawski/Whitney peristaltic pump for years and finally got fed up with it. It was a real PITA to use because it never wanted to prime. I'd actually have to pour oil down the tube into the pump.

I'd getting ready for the big Flexifour burn. All I need now is the carb but have mentioned I'll probably end up putting a newer carb on it till I can find the original.

I stopped at Napa today for some 20W Rotella T for break in oil. I swear, my local Napa is real close to changing the sign out front to say Autozone!!! Didn't have the 20W and "can't order it through their system". WTF!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 8:36pm
Damn, I've run out of things to do until the Magneto comes in this week and I find a carb! Now I guess I'm going to have to spend some time on house repairs/maintenance!

The Rotella T oil is in and the pressure gauge is showing some movement when the engine is hand cranked.

Gary,
I found a reference to 1932 for the old "T" type clamps so I'm using them unless Bob finds that cache of old clamps. Pretty close in the years and I feel sort of appropriate. Thanks for the idea.

The water pump is fully assembled and pumps. I chucked it up in the drill press for a test. I ended up using the old packing because the 1/8" GFO Gortex was too big and it's the smallest size made. The old packing wasn't in that bad of shape but I resaturated it with some grease and powdered graphite. (lock lubrication and left over from my son's pinewood derby days!!)

I'm happy the way the plug wire routing tube turned out. It too was missing so I needed to fabricate it going by photos.

The hand crank needs paint but I still have some machining to do. I need to machine the disengagement "ramps" on the backside of the hub slots.

I sure hope this thing starts easy! You get 1/4 turn with the crank and the PTO/magneto shaft is 1/2 speed so that's only 1/8 of a turn on the crank shaft. My understanding is you bring one of the cylinders up in a compression stroke, pop it over the top and it should go!!!

Earlier I had asked if anyone used a primer or if one was ever made for engine painting. Duplicolor does make one and I bought a can along with the Detroit diesel Alpine green. My intent was to use it on any machined surfaces or bare steel but, I found it really does a better job on the cast iron too. I pre painted the backside of the manifold and side of the head that's covered up after assembly. It took 3 coats to cover the cast iron. The little peaks in the cast surface didn't want to cover. Then I did the rest of the engine with it primed. No problem with one coat of the Alpine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:19am
Looking good Pete. You sure thats a hand crank and not a kick start
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 1:56am
Pete, these are the hose clamps on the 66 Skylark. I finally had 1 to strip out. Question, with your great 'knowledge' of the McMaster catalog, are these in there?
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 8:58am
Gary,
I wish it was a kick!! Actually the crank is counter clock wise which is opposite prop shaft. Engagement is about 2 o'clock and then back to about 11 o'clock.

Marty,
No they don't have the thumb screw version. Those clamps you have are what Chris used on their engines and evidently Universal on the V6. I have a friend who gets $10 each for old rusty ones. If one stripped put a new nut and screw in the old clamp. Where you cheating and using a tool to tighten one up??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 3:07pm
No usually just thumb tighten down,as taught by my dad. This one was on the intake side at the trans cooler. It's always been a little stubborn. The thumb screw if you can see in the pic is what's stripped. Take it out and cut it down I guess I could do and screw it back in past the stripped part, but I do have extra of these lying around.I will see them around and pick them up cause everyone throws these away!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 3:12pm
This is such a cool project. I love the raised lettering on the exhaust casting. So neat.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

My wife keeps on asking me what the UPS guy is bringing me all the time from McMaster and. Just like Mike (wakeslayer) she hasn't seen the invoices but I do truthfully tell her the amounts aren't way out of line.

Keep it vague, Pete!

I had to start on barn / horse projects to renew my free pass. Mrs. Wakeslayer is not nearly as interested in the cost of those projects.......

I find this project fascinating to watch. I have nothing to offer to it but to watch and enjoy the resurrection of this motor.

Seriously cool stuff, dude!!

I too want to see pics of the watercraft that is going in.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 8:44pm
Sometimes it's the little details that are challenging!!! The flexi didn't come with a hank crank so I purchased a blank hub forged crank handle. (yes Mike, this is one of the items that I'm being very vague about. $78.00!!) Milling the 4 pin engagement slots in the hub and boring it wasn't bad but then came the crank pin ejection ramps. Our CNC programmer at work was swamped plus he didn't feel he could even do the ramps without me having to purchase some tooling (extra long milling cutter). If you think about the ramps, they need to be spiral shaped as the cross drilled pin in the PTO shaft rotates up and the handle is ejected. So, I decided to do them by hand with the good old Dremel. Rough cut them by eye and then Prussian blued (remember the blue from my prop lapping thread) the ramps. That showed the high spots that needed more grinding and then finished them off with a 3/8" sanding drum. The only hard part was when I screwed up rough cutting the 4th ramp - I wasn't paying attention and cut it on the wrong side of the slot! Oh well, a little welding to fill it back in worked wonders!!     

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 7:27pm
The magneto arrived Thursday so today I was able to get it installed. The mag is really a "work of art". Steve the owner of Mainely Magnetos did a gorgeous job. Looking at it you'd think it was brand new. He does have some NOS but basically starts with old parts and rebuilds as needed. On this American Bosch he didn't have any coils left so he wound one. .007" wire and something like 20,000 turns!! He vacuum resin saturates and then bakes them.

The braided cloth covered plug wire is reproduction. It's modern silicone insulation under the cloth cover. Plain tinned wire core - no resistor wire!! I'm sure this thing will screw up a TV or radio if in the vicinity!

It pretty much bolted on except some minor linkage changes for the manual spark advance. The original vertical rod to the right was running into the distributor cap bolt head on the mag so I needed to bend a new one up. The horizontal rod running from the control lever is new too. It was the proper shape but was very badly rusted up.

Now on to the carb. There's a 50's updraft Zenith off a Wisconsin 4 cyl. on ebay that I hope to get. It has a adjustable jet so it would allow me to fine tune it to the engine without having to go through the hassle of jet changes. It of course would be a interim carb until I can find the original Zenith T3X. The carbs throat bore is fine but the mounting hole centers are different by 1/8". I'd have to make a flanged adapter. And no Steve and Bruce, I won't make it out of stainless and polish it!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 1:54pm
I'm still doing a carb search. I ran across "The Carb Shop" months ago and that's actually where I found out what carb the Flexi originally had on it. They have excellent info/specs available on the site. Well, I decided to give them a call to see if they had the Zenith T3X I need. John is the person I spoke with and from his knowedge base gather he's the owner and certainly been around for awhile. He does have several but explained to me the problem with this series of Zenith's is a cracking issue near the venturi. He's going to go open up the ones he does have and see if he can find a good one. He then went on to tell me if he does have a good one he wants $1500 (rebuilt) for it!! Well, I'm looking at a 50's Zenith on ebay that came off a Wisconsin industrial 4 cyl. and will be bidding on it. The Flexi will run on it (most likely better) until the day comes when I can find a resonable original!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WaxhawBoater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaxhawBoater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 10:48pm
Looks really good. Patience is of the essence.
WaxhawBoater
Waxhaw, NC
"1970 Skier"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 11:21pm
I took a complete Wisconsin v4 to salvage dealer a few years ago Pete, sorry it was a spare for when we had one of these.Sold it back in '72 and that spare sat here for almost 30 yrs.Dad finally said lets get that out of here.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 9:10am
Gary,
That would have been cool! As a kid, I always dreamed of having one of them too!!

I did win the carb off ebay. I've also ordered a rebuild kit which actually turned out to be a couple bucks more than the carb! Now it's on to welding up the flanged adapter tube. My plans are to put a layer of Bondo on the adapter and then distress it with my needle descaler to make to "look" like a casting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 8:10pm
The carb showed up and it's certainly a chunk of cast iron! I'm still waiting on the rebuild kit for the carb but got a start on the flanged adapter. Bores are all good but the mounting hole centers are different by 1/8". I also have a couple of pictures that do show a flanged tube between the manifold and the carb. I have a feeling they used a couple different carbs.

Here's the adapter gasket matched and ported!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 7:23pm
I haven't received the carb rebuild kit yet but continued on with more small items like cutting gaskets for the carb flanged adapter.

Made the new linkage from the throttle to the carb.

I had to make a new throttle arm to get the throw longer to match the throttle.

With the carb located I could then locate the crankcase vent flex metal tubing and drill/tap the valve cover. The hole in the carbs inlet throat needs to be bored but I'll take that to work with me and set it up in one of the mills.

Mainelymagnetos forgot to send the coupling float with the mag and then sent the wrong one. It's the phenolic piece between the PTO coupling and the impulse coupling on the mag. I got the correct one so I was able to set the timing. I think I've got it correct. With the spring loaded impulse coupling it wasn't the easiest to determine when the mag fires. I marked the impulse housing at the point were it kicks over and then checked it against the point set opening. At that point I engaged the coupling just past TDC off the #1 cylinder with the distributor wiper on it's contact. At least with the manual advance/retard of what appears to be at least 30 degrees I think the timing point is quite forgiving. I'll see!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 7:57pm
That looks vert impressive. Pardon my ignorance of the older motors but that is a very unique paint color. Pete I'm sure it is as close if not original, but I got to ask. It reminds me of a motor that was on an old tractor that Mr. Yastremski had.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 8:11pm
WOW!!!! Pete...impressive work! I probably missed it along the way, but, what boat are you going to put this in?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 9:31pm
Awesome work as always Pete!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 9:41pm
I noticed that you didn't paint the tag. Eric can help with that.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 10:00pm
Ryan,
In my research as well as saving paint chips off the engine before cleaning, I discovered the color to be a Alpine Green. It's currently available as "Detroit Diesel Alpine Green" by Duplicolor. Some here are using the same for 60's Interceptor Marine engines.

Dave,
It's going in a 1918 (approximate) launch I picked up off a island estate up north. It was the original boat used to ferry to the island as well as push a supply barge. It's a retirement project!! It needs more work than the engine!! After it, I'll move on to building the barge.

Thanks Chris, Getting close to seeing if it will run!

But Greg, didn't he tell you you could still see the stamped in numbers?? Plus, I seem to remember he didn't charge for the extra paint!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 1:20am
Pete no luck on the clamps.I looked thru three drawers full and only came up with 2 both ugly and 2".
Sure looks good wish I had something to contribute.
Bob
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 9:01am
Bob,
Your thoughts and effort is very appreciated.

Did you find anything else of interest digging through the barn? I've mentioned it before but you may have a ebay gold mine hidden in there!! You should really start going through it before the day comes when it's possible it may be auctioned off in a estate sale.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 10:39am
Pete I am wondering what that flexible metal house coming out of the engine near the carby is? Just crankcase ventilation or something else?

And second question is it original?

Pete it looks great and has been lots of fun following this thread. It shows your attention to detail in every thing you do.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 10:55am
Mark,
Yes the flex is the crankcase vent. No valving back them - just right into the carb. Original? What do you think? It matches the pictures I have of the engine! I don't know if you caught that the valve cover was missing so I needed to fab one up. The original flex was gone with it so going by pictures is something that needs to be done at times. Typically you get the ruler out and scale from known dimensions.

Thanks for the compliment. I am having fun with it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 3:34pm
I'm going to wait until I get back from the Memorial day weekend but it's ready for gas and cranking!!

Carb is on along with the crankcase vent. Now, before someone says anything about my fuel line not meeting USCG regs, it's not in a boat yet so they can't do anything!! Really and obvious it's a temporary line to get the engine going. At least I got fuel rated tubing!! Also without a fuel pump on this engine, (it's gravity feed) no high pressure line to the carb!!

I called Mainely magneto's (mag builder who did the Bosch for me) the other day basically to review with him how I set up the mag for timing (it's good) and had one other question. As sood as I asked him what the terminal on the point case cover was for, it dawned on me!! It's funny that I had completely overlooked it. It's to hook up a switched shunt to ground from the point set - To stop the engine!! Then I started thinking about what kind of switch would be appropriate for 1927. A knife switch!! Good old ebay and the second ad I looked at was a perfect size - small.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 5:20pm
actually period correct, was there a requirement?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

actually period correct, was there a requirement?

Thanks Eric. I thought the knife switch was a good choice too. Requirement? Well, yes! How else would you stop the engine? I thought about a flat piece of spring steel under the base bent up so when depressed it would touch the point shunt terminal but that was too "Briggs & Stratton" for me!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic