NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78/79 ski-tique rod knocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 4:45am
Brian...I absolutely love your boat. If you decide to sell you HAVE to call me!
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

This is how the previous owner of my boat had mine. But mine is all white Gel to start with, with just decals. A guy at the 2010 NE reunion knew my boat from when it belonged to the previous, previous, owner, and that guy had it done up like a zebra. In very specific lights you can still see the outlines a little. I wouldn't do that though. I wouldn't do the zebra thing.

So I assume your boat had "Ski tique" on the side of it before right?,... Do you just sand all the way through the lettering and stripes? Im learning about gel coat and it would make sense to do that,... however i dont know how far you can sand into it before its too far.
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 11:42am
Snapped a few more pics last night. I didnt end up getting off work till 8 and then had to pick the boat up so I didnt get to get my hands dirty at all,.... That sucks too because all day yesterday I was exited to see how bad the crank looked. Oh well,.. heres a few more pics,.. and more advice will be noted and taken to heart.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:03pm
I would highly recommend AGAINST removing the lettering from the sides. The big painted logos were one of the coolest things on the CC's from the '70's.

Concentrate on making the boat ready for the water rather than cosmetics. The longer you have the boat, and the more Correct Crafts you look at, the more you'll come to appreciate original details.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:21pm
Thanks Chris, I'll certainly keep you in mind if I ever do. There would probably need to be a really appealing chance to upgrade. I'm always kind of on the lookout for blue and white Excal powered 196s.

JJ, yeah, mine was a different story, a.) I didn't do that, the PO did and b.) the detailing was always decals, not paint. I totally agree with Tim, you have a nice classic on your hands with some work and you should be careful about keeping it true to form.
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:23pm
Yeah, you are probably right,.. When I get into a hobby I usually go all out so like normal I'm planning out the next few months of this boats life already. I THINK I have the running part beat,.. In theory at least. It'll probably end up taking more time and $ than I am thinking right now anyways.

Brainstorming,.. A lady's husband that I work with has a 460 marine engine that he will sell me the whole thing for $500,.. It IS reverse rotation. I don't know enough about this to make an educated guess,... Will it fit? Will it bolt up to my tranny?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by allanonjj allanonjj wrote:

It'll probably end up taking more time and $ than I am thinking right now anyways.

Oh that is a guarantee!

I would say that a big block in a 16' hull is a bad idea. It is very unlikely that it will fit under your motorbox, first of all. It will physically mate up to the tranny, but big blocks usually came paired with beefier 72C transmissions, for good reason. You'd also have to reprop it significantly in order to take advantage of all the extra torque. Theres no guarantee the larger engine would physically fit in the hull, either... I know someone tried to put a big block Chrysler in an early SN and the bellhousing or oil pan hit the hull.

The 302 is a great match to the smaller/lighter boats... if you want more power, its easy and inexpensive to build one up to the 275-300hp range, which makes for a VERY fun ride, without the huge weight penalty a big block would have.
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:54pm
Yeah, I figured it would be to big for the space allotted but I wasnt sure. That would be a butt-load of torque though! Im not trying to spend any unnecessary $ yet,. at least not untill i get it running good. If the opportunity arose to get something for nothing, I would jump on it but as far as doing bottom end work and cams and all, Im not ready for that yet. It would be fun though to have a 350hp boat though!
Damn,.. I havent even gotten it in the water yet and Im already talking about making it faster...lol
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:30pm
JJ,
I too am wondering why you would want to remove the hull graphics. From the pictures they look to be in very good shape to the point that they have been redone recently and yes, they are as Tim mentioned the coolest thing about that era. Many have spent lots of time and effort to restore their graphics.

I also agree that a big block is a bad idea. "a butt-load of torque" yes but how would you get it to the water? Proping would be a problem!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 2:08pm
8122pbrainard
Remember Im a noob in this

I like the way that "naked" boat from above looks,.. everyone has their own opinion I suppose and maybe mine will change but I like that look. This is coming from someone who hasnt even ran their boat yet so my opinion is very subject to change. This is my last car I built:

So I hope you can see why that boat was apealing to me. lol
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 3:04pm
Thats a clean looking Integra. I think an all-white 2012 Nautique 200 would look pretty cool as well, debadged and all.

I think a vintage Ski Tique looks better with the original graphics.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 3:11pm
on a side note..those 70 boat the graphic are painted while the 90s were decals!
so to remove you need to do some sanding!...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 3:24pm
JJ,
If you do decide to remove the graphics, I have a suggestion. Trace them for the future. Then a sign shop could scan them into their computer, clean them up and cut what's called a Gerber Mask. It's a stencil system for painting they cut on their vinyl cutter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 3:31pm
Got some GREAT news! After calling around go all my car buddies I am getting a complete 302 HO motor that came of of a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer for $50! It's a complete LONGBLOCK with the H.O. heads! It had a blown head gasket so I can't just swap cams and all but still,.. That SOUNDS like a hell of a deal! I'm thinking I should still replace the lower bearings and rings. If I do all that AND have the block honed I'll still come out ahead,.. Just as long as this block will bolt up!
Those heads aren't the ones everyone keeps talking about are they? The GT heads or whatever they are called?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 3:43pm
gt40p heads...
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

gt40p heads...

Ok,.. thats good right? Does that mean I can swap over the cams out of my heads and it'll work? I hear a lot of guys on here talking about how great the gt40p heads flow.... Did I just luck up?
Im gonna go get the motor tonight and I guess go ahead and break it down for the machine shop,.. If I am reading everything correctly I will need to order a new set of head gaskets, oil pan gaskets, crank/rod bearings (after the machine shop says they are ok) and probably an intake gasket,.. um,.. are there any extra "cam gaskets" of anything I should order?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 4:46pm
Let the gurus weight in. My only concern would be nuances about the modern block.

Is there a place cut out to run an old fashioned mechanical fuel pump on a modern block? IDK

How about the distributor?

And still keep in mind, the Truck Engine will be a lefty. You still have to make it a righty.
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:05pm
not sure at all about the fuel pump,.. Im not opposed at all to putting in an electric pump,.. like maybe a warlbro 255 or something,.. unless there is a reason why I cant do that.

I THINK the distributor will be fine on a 98 model wont it? Will wait for more Ford Gurus.

I Just got off the phone with a guy from this site : http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page568.html
He says that he has "marinized" a few 302's and the problem comes into play when you start looking at how the crank is balanced,.. if it is internal or at the flywheel.... I dont know which is which but if anyone on here does, please speak up. It sounds like if the crank on my old motor is balanced internally and so is the new motor I should be ok,... that is,... so long as everything else bolts up (which I dont see how it wouldnt)
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 6:07pm
Found a marine 351 with the distributor and a carb for $1300,.. has 800 hours on it from a reputable shop,..compression at 95-105 between cylinders (that sounds a lil too good to be true right?) Thats still more than I am trying to spend to begin with,.. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY OPTIONS!!!!????
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 6:36pm
You need to slow down a bit.

A distributor from a '98 302 automotive engine is NOT what you want. You need a MARINE unit in the name of safety. If you cant find a good used one, this is one piece worth buying new. You can get a nice new Mallory Marine points dizzy for $200.

What would your intent be with the marine 351w? Some parts would swap over to your 302, others would not (like the distributor). If you planned to use it as-is, then you need to make sure its a RH engine. $1300 is a bit steep for a used engine- and if its a lefty, forget it. If its a righty, then it would be a better platform to build from if you want more power since it has more cubes... but out of the box, youre taking a weight penalty and only gaining 20hp- so $1300 would be better spent on your 302 if you want more power.

The GT40p heads that came on that Explorer motor are good ones. It will cost you a few bucks less to have them rebuilt (valve job, resurface) than it would be to buy ones already rebuilt ($400ish). For $50, grab them and pray they arent cracked or have bent valves, etc.

As far as the balancing goes, someone else may chime in on that... but you definitely need to match components up correctly- namely the flywheel, balancer and presumably the crank.
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 6:53pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] You need to slow down a bit.

QUOTE]

lol,.. If I had a dollar for every time . . . Yeah I hear ya.
"I can't wait to have patience!"
Oh, and $1300 includes a MARINE distributor and carburetor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 6:56pm

not sure at all about the fuel pump,.. Im not opposed at all to putting in an electric pump,.. like maybe a warlbro 255 or something,.. unless there is a reason why I cant do that.

JJ,
An electric fuel pump needs to be marine rated/ignition protected as well. You sure don't want more automotive junk on that engine!!

I'm going to let the carb experts chime in but there are other issues with putting an electric on it.

BTW, I too feel you need to slow down here!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, I too feel you need to slow down here!!

jajaj I was thinking the same!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 7:51pm

QUOTE]

Keep dialing back on the throttle!

Again, the 351w and 302 do NOT take the same distributor.
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

QUOTE]

Keep dialing back on the throttle!

Again, the 351w and 302 do NOT take the same distributor.

Benj,... I know,.. He was gonna give me the dist that came on the 351. I have talked to my boat mechanic friend who choked a little when I told him the price and 800 hours so I guess the 351 is out.
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 4:47pm
took a few pics this morning with my GoPro camera,..I am going to start pulling the motor and all tonight, hope to have it down to bare block by Tomorrow afternoon. If you guys see anything alarming (well,.. other than the other 10 things that youve already told me about) let me know.
Thanks again

What is supposed to cover the battery? I hope I am missing some sort of cover.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 6:05pm

Yes, you are missing the cover. It should be a ply carpeted and "T" molding around the edge piece.

With the extra pictures, I again stress the importance of checking the stringers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 6:22pm

Yes, you are missing the cover. It should be a ply carpeted and "T" molding around the edge piece.

With the extra pictures, I again stress the importance of checking the stringers.

Oh yeah,.. meant to say it already but Mack (boat mechanic) checked them for me and said that they are very solid,.. he used those "rings" and picked the whole boat off the trailer and examined the hull and said that the boat is structurally sound.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 6:47pm

Oh yeah,.. meant to say it already but Mack (boat mechanic) checked them for me and said that they are very solid,.. he used those "rings" and picked the whole boat off the trailer and examined the hull and said that the boat is structurally sound.

JJ, Hopefully he did check the below deck condition of the hardware on the lifting rings before lifting. CC had a tendency to use carbon steel that is know to rust out and, the mount in the transom rots!! Somehow I'm getting this funny feeling that between your "mechanic" and yourself you are not getting the true "big picture" here!!! He checked out the stringers? How? Did he check the lifting ring below deck hardware? How?
Keep in mind that you did not even know what a lifting ring was!-- Does you mechanic? It sure doesn't sound that way since he didn't tell you about them!!! tell us more about your "mechanic" So far, all he's said is the non marine components are not good. Any good marine mechanic will refuse to even work on an engine that doesn't meet USCG specs!! You're not dealing with this guy hopefully!! AKA; Cooter!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 7:44pm
JJ, welcome aboard! If you are serious about getting that boat ship shape you are in the right spot! I a newbie to the boating world as well as you.
I bought a 72 southwind knowing it needed an engine or at least a rebuild to get it going. I was told by the PO that the floors were "very solid". Boy was that wrong. In removing the engine I found the lag bolts holding the motor mounts to the stringers they would just spin and spin. I had to pry and twist to remove them. This is the first sign of rotting stringers. I decided to bite the bullet and fix the boat right. I've since cut out my floor and found secondaries and bulkheads that are completely rotten. Under the floatation foam there is about two inches of pooled water. If I've learned one thing on this forum is LISTEN TO PETE(especially about checking stringer condition!!!). Get on those lag bolts with a ratchet and see how they feel. Any thing that is wrong with that boat the collective knowledge on this site can steer you to make it BETTER than new.
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic