Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BAD BAD day - HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 9:05pm
Spoke to a local machine shop today. They wanted 290 plus any parts needed to re work the heads obviously after checking for cracks and what not.

What's you guys thoughts on that price? This is my first time and that was the first shop I called. Plan on calling a couple more tomorrow.

Also what all should I be requesting regarding service to the heads from the machine shop?
1986sn 2001
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 9:45pm
What do the manifolds look like?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 10:10pm
For around 600 you can get a set gt40p ready to bolt on.
That will put you with almost 40hp over the stock head...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 10:55pm
I think I have found the problem. When you asked what the manifolds looked like I went out to take pics. There's a lot of rust and two areas where I think I can tell the gasket broke on the intake manifold at the front of the motor. I got my big camera out and took a much of pics of the block, intake manifold and exhaust manifolds and I will post them tomorrow for you guys to check out.

Does this sound like something that could be the problem? Also with the first two ports rusted pretty good on the intake manifold what would be the next step for that?
1986sn 2001
captbob626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 12:05am
In the driveway, did you suck the water rout of a bucket, or hook the hose directly to the intake?
Bob Meimbresse
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 12:47am
That could be it. But, I just went back to your original post and the knocking sound that you heard. While we hope it's just driveline noise or something else that's non crank/connecting rod/piston related, we don't know for sure. So, I think at this point I'd take Zach's advice, clean up the heads and re-assemble with new gaskets, get rid of the milkshake with a few oil changes and see how it runs. If you solve the water in oil problem but still hear the knock, you won't have spent any extra money besides the gasket set.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 10:31am
The price sounds pretty right on for a complete head service. The parts associated with the head rebuild I doubt will be more than 100 bucks. So you will probably be out the door for around 350. Did he quote you a 3 angle job or just a standard? If you are thinking of keeping the thing you may well go with the GT-40P heads but if not and you want to save a couple hundred just incase you have to put it into the engine for a rebuild there's that.

The 240 horse engine isn't really a slouch in a 2001 hull especially coupled with the hotrod ACME 540 prop.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 10:44am
You could at least look at the damper to see if that may have been causing the knock. Pull the starter and rotate the engine by hand while looking through the hole where the starter goes. You obviously need a little help for this. Maybe an inspection mirror too, but you should be able to at least see if the damper is damaged or not.

Wait....disregard that. A SBF has the starter access on the front side of the flywheel so you won't be able to see the damper. Bummer. I was thinking SBC.

Maybe someone else can chime in if there is an inspection plate on the bell housing someplace to be able to look at the damper without pulling the tranny? Sorry, not that versed in SBF's, at least in this regard.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 11:06am
ok guys I think this is where the water was getting in. bad intake gasket i think.

I understand what you guys are saying about the upgraded heads but I really dont need that much more power than she already has. And if i want to go that route one day I can sell the heads I have now cause they will be rebuilt.

I think im more concerned with getting this thing to work with what it was originally setup for. Is that way off mark? any big issues with the current heads other than less power?

So Plans are I am going to drop off the heads friday. should i bring him that intake manifold also?
1986sn 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 11:11am
also I know maybe my constant questions are annoying but im adding pics!!

and im finally making progress and not giving up!
1986sn 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 12:00pm
Shouldn't be any issues as long as they check out ok. Might want the shop to do a light surface of all mating surfaces since water and corrosion seems to have been an issue.

Rebuilt my 240 horse heads (86 vintage) 7 years and 640 +/- hours ago. Drive it like I stole it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 12:12pm
For the extra $150-200 it would be a no-brainer to go with the better heads, at least to me. Those old heads are only good for boat anchors- I would not count on recouping more than $50-100 on them, even if rebuilt, and thats if you can find someone local who needs a functional set on the cheap. Theyre not worth enough to bother shipping.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by newguy1986 newguy1986 wrote:

also I know maybe my constant questions are annoying but im adding pics!!

and im finally making progress and not giving up!

Not annoying at all Andrew! I really enjoy threads like this, figuring out a problem and fixing it with help of a bunch of knowledgeable people here. I want to learn because it will be my turn with the problem next time.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 12:32pm
Why are you considering rebuilding those heads… if something else is wrong with the engine you just dumped 400 dollars into them for no reason. I would be thinking that engine has to come out, if for no other reason than inspection purposes.   Your current plan involves 500 bucks in parts and 10 hours of your time just to put it back together again and see if you still leak and have a “knock”.   I would be wanting a good look at those main and rod bearings as well as the cylinder walls above and below the pistons before I decided if I wanted to do something to the heads and gasket it all back up and reinstall. If you had a smoking gun for the leak, which I have yet to see, and you were only taking a risk on the “knock” it would be one thing but with both mysteries unsolved I would be putting as little money/time into this engine as possible. Tim is right on about the value of your rebuilt heads to someone else.. next to nothing
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 12:44pm
Joe, I'm with you on that being the best method, but I think Andrew just wants to put it all together and see if he can run. I've done that before, in the face of possible failure, and sometimes you get lucky. Think it's that big of a mistake?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 12:48pm
I am banking on the getting lucky factor. Depending on budget I would just rebuild it but he seems like he wants to see if he can work with what he has.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 1:23pm
ok ok ok hold the phone.

there are two issues that are what Im assuming are a result from over heating. One is water in the oil, and two was a slight knocking noise from what I am comforable saying is an unknown source but is figured to be in the trans. This is something I need to dive into.

I plan was to understand and fix the issues with the water in the oil and then get her started. I feel like its a trans issue from there. Im also assuming i can unbolt the trans without taking the motor out- that thinking could be wrong.

Now, I feel like i have found the issue with the water in the oil in some bad gaskets. I think cleaning up the heads and rebuilding them would assume they would perform as factory? is that not the case? so if i can fix those get it put back together. clean out the oil and get it tuned I can move towards the knock.

I hear ya when your saying "just spend more money and get new heads" but explain other than more horse power, why i should go back with what it came with from the factory.
1986sn 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 1:30pm
They don't want you to go through the others when you could spend 250 more and get more performance. The issue with that is the stock heads aren't worth as much as it costs to rebuild them. Then again the P heads will be worth less than what you pay after you use them but they will make more power. You will also need to buy a performance intake manifold to take advantage of the extra flow of the P heads because the stock manifold won't let you see the full potential of the bolted on horsepower of the GT-40P heads.

Then you'll want to bolt on some better ratio roller rockers.

Then you'll want to upgrade the camshaft. ETC.

I am one who hates to do upgrades one thing at a time. If I buy P heads I'm going to be annoyed the entire time if I don't accompany that with the supporting modifications so I will be leaving lots of power on the table.

I would rather put it back together stock until I do it all at once.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 1:40pm
So its not 600 in heads its 600 + 250 for an intake also...

well for 1725 i could just get a totally rebuilt motor...

and for 125,000 I could get a new boat....

to the point about the heads not worth as much as they are to rebuild...thats basically trying to argue this is actually a sound investment... come on...

reworking the heads that are on it now seems like the way im going to go. unless some one can explain why they are better as an anchor... they were working just fine and had enough power for a 300 pound man to get up on a wakeboard before. Im not racing this thing I just want it to run and run smoothly.
1986sn 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 1:47pm
You can get fully rebuilt P-heads for $450, thats only $100 more than having your stock heads rebuilt. All of the other upgrades are completely optional- encouraged if youre trying eek every bit of hp out of the upgrade- but not required by any means. You'd still be up 40hp without them, and thats an incredible ROI for only an extra hundred bucks. The more modern head design and smaller combustion chamber would likely contribute to an increase in efficiency as well. But, its your money!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 1:55pm
Remind me what is wrong with those heads?

I'm not a gear head but I'm with baitkiller on this one. Fresh gaskets all around and go skiing.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 1:55pm
This thread has become informational and very interesting to me. Wish I could have gotten as much input in Oct when I posted very similar issues with my Atom Skier. The heads are now on a bench as we slow but sure hope to get the intakes removed from the heads so we can send them out. It seems the long bolts mushroomed inside and dont want to allow release. My head gaskets showed smoking gun blow by at the valley area so i plan to send the heads to a shop for recondition and hope to reinstall. Whether this's all occurs before March will make the difference between a static display or a runner at Tavares. The boat is currently in Florida minus heads
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 2:01pm
Sheet son! They are only 225 now? Go ahead for that price. Tim you know better than me but you really think that thing can grab 40 extra ponies breathing through that straw like stock intake? Impressive.

They will hog out the head bolt holes to 351 size for free if you tell them before you order FYI.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 2:06pm
Carb/TBI 285-300hp Proboss motors used the pancake cast iron intakes with GT40 heads and similar cam specs as the 240hp version so yes, easy bolt on 40hp with the P's alone.

HW makes a good point... there really isnt any reason to rebuild the old heads that I can see. Why was that even on the table? If the gaskets were clearly junk, put new ones on and go skiing. I would be darned sure that the intake itself wasnt cracked though- that has been known to happen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 2:13pm
I was going to get the heads checked. while they are off i dont see why that is unreasonable. If they come back not cracked and workable why wouldnt i have them clean them up / re work them and get them back up to snuff?

I will get the intake checked at the same time. then put it back together.

I mean honestly lets here what you guys think cause I dont know anything when it comes to this stuff. I am not the guy that is always looking for more horse power either. Im assuming from inspection of the top half of the motor im good regarding the block assembly and all that. Im assuming I have had gasket issues. Im assuming putting it all back together I can get the oil to clear up with multiple oil changes.

Im not looking to rebuild the whole motor if it doesnt need it. Im not one to take stuff apart that works.
1986sn 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 2:20pm
It would cost more to have the stock intake and heads checked than theyre worth (let alone rebuilt/reworked)... why throw good money after bad? If you have any reason to suspect theyre bad, replace them with superior alternatives because theyre cheap and readily available. If you have no reason to suspect theyre bad, replace the gaskets and bolt them back on.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

This thread has become informational and very interesting to me. Wish I could have gotten as much input in Oct when I posted very similar issues with my Atom Skier. The heads are now on a bench as we slow but sure hope to get the intakes removed from the heads so we can send them out. It seems the long bolts mushroomed inside and dont want to allow release. My head gaskets showed smoking gun blow by at the valley area so i plan to send the heads to a shop for recondition and hope to reinstall. Whether this's all occurs before March will make the difference between a static display or a runner at Tavares. The boat is currently in Florida minus heads

Jack,
Difference here is that your skier is a totally different engine that, to my knowledge, heads would be few, if any at all available. Your only option is to have them rebuilt or repaired. Again, I'm certainly not an expert, but that engine is one very of us have any kind of experience with and the general concensus for any kind of engine in a boat like that is keep it original...or the rath of Pete comes down on you like fire and brimstone.
We're talking about heads that are readily avaiable, really cheap and can be upgraded to much better performance for a really small amount of money in an engine that's putting out three or four times the HP yours is.
Apples and oranges completely and sorry to say, not a lot of expertice in your specific situation.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

The heads are now on a bench as we slow but sure hope to get the intakes removed from the heads so we can send them out. It seems the long bolts mushroomed inside and dont want to allow release.

Not so sure about the bolts mushroomed rather than just frozen in place? There's some methods for breaking free beyond the obvious PB Blaster type if you want. There's a wax method that I didn't believe until I tried it and it worked on some mower spindle nuts.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by newguy1986 newguy1986 wrote:

I was going to get the heads checked. while they are off i dont see why that is unreasonable. If they come back not cracked and workable why wouldnt i have them clean them up / re work them and get them back up to snuff?

Listen to what Tim said. By the time you have them checked (which you have to disassemble to do) the natural progression is to "clean them up and rework them to get them back up to snuff" while you have them apart in the first place. They aren't worth the time and effort to do that. They'll cost $350-$375 (with parts) at very minimum to do what you're thinking.
You can buy like new, reconditioned heads that flow much better than original with new valves, new guides, new springs and a valve grind already done for another $75-$100.

So, either get new gakets with the stock heads, bolt them on and call it a day (hoping they aren't cracked) or buy new heads and new gaskets, bolt them on and you know they're good. I know getting the extra 40HP doesn't appeal to you at all so let's just call it an added benefit.

Eddie
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 3:35pm
I should have been more clear, mine are swollen with a rust buildup internal on the headers. I'll not steal this thread any further.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic