NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My 4th Correct Craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 4th Correct Craft
    Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:13pm
Well, I'll let the cat out of the bag. I go to pick up this beauty on Monday. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and checked it out but since I hadn't taken payment for my SS I decided not to bid on the initial auction. I spoke to the mechanic at the marine shop where it was (who I have known for a while) and he gave me the complete history of the boat. It's in REALLY good shape. I think I did all right price wise! First thing to get done is to get the Dom decals removed and some BFN decals put on. Not too keen about the dash being cut for a radio but that and an incorrect speedo are really the only issues.

1987 Dominique/BFN
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:24pm
Nice! Looks to be in really nice shape.
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:31pm
Very nice looking boat, very clean. A few scratches on the side and rear but they just look cosmetic.

Curious boat choice...83..96..97..87....did you just prefer the classic look of the older boat?
So is the Domonique a BFN with the SN interior and the 351?

hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:46pm
First Dom I've seen that doesn't have 2 buckets up front.
Brian
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by MattB MattB wrote:

Very nice looking boat, very clean. A few scratches on the side and rear but they just look cosmetic.

Curious boat choice...83..96..97..87....did you just prefer the classic look of the older boat?
So is the Domonique a BFN with the SN interior and the 351?

Yeah, the scratches should be superficial and I'm hoping to buff them out. We sold the SS for financial reasons, needed to pay my wifes car off so she could stay home and raise our newborn daughter. The choice to go with a BFN was more right place/right time, plus I have regretted selling my '83 ever since I got rid of it. I love the throaty sound of the older boats. Never had a BFN and the last year I owned my '96 I got into barefooting and fell in love with it. I got this at the right price so worse case scenario I won't be out much if anything if I decided to part with it down the road.

The owner had his friend post the auction, and seems he got some details mixed up. It's truly a BFN boat with dominique badging. That's it. Standard 351W motor.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:49pm
The Dominique and bfn were the same boat. The bfn usually got the delux observers seat and 454 the Dominique more commonly had a 2nd bucket and a 351w. But you could order them however you wanted. Otherwise, it was just the graphics that differentiated the 2.

That does look like a clean example, and you did great on the price- congrats Bret!

I think that a 325hp sbf powered bfn would be a very strong performer with a great wake. Stock big block power without the weight.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:04pm
Actually the BFN came standard with a 351W but most original purchasers ordered with the BBC for obvious reasons. I'm sure the BBC is a nice addition for a dedicated BF boat. Not really a huge concern of mine. I really just bought it for the sweet cup-holder on the dog box. I want to make sure my passengers receive the accouterments (sp?) they deserve, can't make them hold their own beers ALL the time!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:04pm
Somebody making sensible choices in today's economy, respect
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by MattB MattB wrote:

Somebody making sensible choices in today's economy, respect

thanks Matt! It's all this guys fault - Dave Ramsey
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:27pm
Good looking boat!
83Ski
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:28pm
When you get ready-- I got these !!

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:39pm
hell yeah Marty! PM me for pricing. Do you take paypal?
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:59pm
Sweet boat, Bret! Haul over to Jessamine... You have to teach me to foot now :)
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 3:32pm
Nice Find.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Silver15 Silver15 wrote:

Sweet boat, Bret! Haul over to Jessamine... You have to teach me to foot now :)
Jake

No Problem Jake! But you get to pull me through the course with yours!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 5:17pm
Great looking boat! Classic
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 3:00am
OK, picked up the BFN yesterday, some good and some bad....

The good:
Interior is great, floor is solid, engine looks good
Super nice DV4 Ramlin trailer, had been sandblasted and repainted
Real nice bimini, and full cover with side skirts that go all the way to bottom of hull sides

The bad:
Cover needs to be re-waterproofed (no big deal)
Dime sized piece of gel missing on the port-side gunwale (can be fixed)
trailer tires are SHOT! First order of biz is to get new ones.
Dash has been cut - I think I can get the flip-up radio coverplate from white-lake that will at least clean up the installation.

I think a new prop is in order, so Tim, I hope you are reading this.... It has the stock Federal 13x13x1 on it right now, and it looks tiny! Powerplant is the standard 351w so what do you recommend here? I'm looking for a good all-around performer. Luckily I won't have to buy the prop-removal tool as it is a little loose already so I might as well do this before it goes in the water again.

New decals are on their way from Nautiqueparts.com, so I'll be buffing out the hull this weekend. She's going back to her BFN roots. Those Dominique decals have got to go!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:49am
Im confused... why do you think its a BFN and not a Dominique? Id probably opt for the BFN decals as well, but its pretty clear it went out the door as a Dom. Ramlin didnt start making trailers for CC until the mid 90's... that one was built in house and is a Correct Craft trailer.

I *think* thats the stock radio location for an '87... but if you want to ditch it, you can replace the whole dash plate. Nautique Skins has it.

Stock 351w, go with the Acme 540 for all around performance.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:53am
Bolt on some more HP!!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 12:08pm
Bret,
Be prepared for some gel color ghosting under the Dominique decals. Hopefully it can be removed with some wet sanding and a buff.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Airgrabber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 12:16pm
I was watching it on ebay, Nice boat, great price
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Im confused... why do you think its a BFN and not a Dominique? Id probably opt for the BFN decals as well, but its pretty clear it went out the door as a Dom. Ramlin didnt start making trailers for CC until the mid 90's... that one was built in house and is a Correct Craft trailer.

I *think* thats the stock radio location for an '87... but if you want to ditch it, you can replace the whole dash plate. Nautique Skins has it.

Stock 351w, go with the Acme 540 for all around performance.

Tim, thanks for the help on the prop!
Here's the lowdown on the Dom/BFN confusion. The boat is definitely a BFN. The PO who ordered it originally didn't like the BFN decals for whatever reason so they special ordered with DOM decals. THAT'S IT. They told SECC that if they couldn't get it with Dom decals that they weren't buying. Everything else is BF. I was even given the original owner's book, have all the original buyer's orders, maint. logs, EVERYTHING! It's pretty awesome to have all of this. Original purchase price was $20k and change. That was a lot back then! Tim, let me know if you want to see anything specific and I can scan it in and post.
Thanks also for clearing up the trailer info. It's built extremely well, totally different from the trailer on my old '83. A lot more reinforcement and extra bunks underneath, not the typical wishbone setup. Up by the tongue on the port side there is a 4-digit number "4709". Not sure if this is a model# or ser#?
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 1:24pm
Just ordered the Acme 540 from Delta. $345 shipped! What a deal!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 1:29pm
Dang, I could have sold you one for 250 in a month
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 2:31pm
Since the decals on the side and the plate on the dash are the only things that differentiated the Dom and BFN, I guess Im still confused! The 2 boats are the same besides the badging.   

Im with you though, I think the BFN decals look better since theyre centered fore/aft.

Ive got most of the original paperwork from when my family bought our '88 SN new... pretty cool looking back at that stuff.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 4:33pm
Tim, Dom had a different observer seat, it was a bucket that swiveled fore and aft. That, decals, and badging were the only differences.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Tim, Dom had a different observer seat, it was a bucket that swiveled fore and aft.

Commonly, yes... but not a requirement. Same goes for the 351w vs. 454.

The "Delux Passenger Bucket Seat with Swivel" was standard, but the "Love Seat with Cooler" was optional.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 4:53pm
LOL, either way, come down again next year to SJRR and I'll give ya a few pulls!

Here's a couple pics from the other day with the cover on it. I'll get some more this weekend and post them up. I love the cover, it's no wonder the gel is in such good shape!

'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 4:56pm
Wow, a waterline cover- score! That explains a lot... hopefully minimal ghosting under those Dominique decals.

Would love a pull behind that rig!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 7:24pm
Congrats on the new boat, looks like an outstanding buy. There's a Dom for sale on my way to work every day, I stopped to look once, kind of beat though a decent boat for someone. It's out there rain or shine with no cover and a for sale sign on it. I think they are asking over 8 grand or something like that, never going to move at that price.

It has the swivel bucket, as did the Dominique I looked at last summer. Nice feature if you plan to cruise around a fair amount, but one less seat while a rope is attached.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic