NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rare birds for car lovers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rare birds for car lovers
    Posted: October-21-2012 at 4:19am
I went to my Shelby Dodge car club meeting today and these two birds flew in unannounced. I don't remember seeing two together any time recently. They are not clones and the green one is all original and unrestored.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 12:14pm
When the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird were introduced in the late 60's, the dealers couldn't give them away. Nobody wanted one of those ugly-arsed cars witht the big wing on the back. Many sat languishing in the back of dealer lots. Today, they are worth BIG $$$$. Wished I would have had a few extra grand laying around I could have invested in one of those. Better than buying a good stock
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 12:33pm
Thats at least a half a million dollars parked there. The orange one needs to lose the extra stripes running down the side of the car though. Hardly ever see one at a car show, let alone two. Had a chance to buy a 383 4 speed bench seat bird, back in the 70's. They were always just a little to much money to buy, and now they are WAY to much money to buy.
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 1:05pm
I know where one of these sits in a barn just wasting away. I am looking for a picture I have. I will post when I find it.

David
86 Martinique
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 2:01pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Thats at least a half a million dollars parked there. The orange one needs to lose the extra stripes running down the side of the car though. Hardly ever see one at a car show, let alone two. Had a chance to buy a 383 4 speed bench seat bird, back in the 70's. They were always just a little to much money to buy, and now they are WAY to much money to buy.

The bird with a 383 in the 70s had a heart transplant, which was quite common. Superbirds had three engine options: the 426 Hemi V8 engine, the 440 Super Commando with a single 4-barrel carburetor, or the 440 Super Commando Six Barrel with three two-barrel carburetors. Only 135 models were fitted with the 426 Hemi. The green one is a six barrel (3- 2barrel) with a bench seat, the Orange one is a 4 barrel with bucket seats. I agree, it needs a correct paint job, the stripes are hideous. The guy bought it that way recently and has just been driving it this summer until he sends it in for a restoration. Maybe they could put a hitch on it while its in, it would be a great CC tow vehicle.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Wow Marty, that blue one is beautiful.. err, ugly,,err beautiful, oh, you know what I mean, I like it, its not yours, is it?

It's interesting how things changed so rapidly after these cars were built. Most of the 134 cubic inch Shelby cars built in the mid 80s to early 90s at the meeting / chili cook off are faster than the birds.
Today is the last club outing at Great Lakes Dragaway. I will not be able to attend. I was reminded that the rose bushes will not trim themselves. I ask you, which is better, the delicate aroma of a fresh picked rose, or burning rubber and racing fuel?
Here's what I'm missing

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 11:59am
Yeah Mopar!!! John are you a Shelby guy??? I had CSX-T #524 since I was 15 years old up untill this year. Project I didn't have the time or cash to finish so I let her go.. :(. Turbo Dodge cars are funnnnn to drive.

A friend of ours with way to much money to blow just finished a car called project blackbird. It started from a nice 70 drop top roadrunner. (personally I would not do that to a un molested #'s matching car butttt) It turned out to be one of the best looking cars I have seen for a while. There is a restoration shop in town (whom of which we are good friends with) that do some of the best mopar resto in the nation. The car ended up black on black on black with black doggie dish wheels and redlines. It also sports a 6 speed and a fuel injected 472 hemi that looks carbureted untill you pull the air cleaner off. I can't find a picture of it but he actually drives the car.

Fyi check out the other mopar post im about to make.
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 5:54pm
Here are some pictures I took last summer

70 Superbird

440GTX convertible

This Road Runner is 4spd with air grabber hood.

There was also another Road Runner convert that I can't find the picture of, a 340 Duster, Li'l Red Express truck and a big ugly mid 70s Road Runner. He had others but lost some in a fire several years ago.

David
86 Martinique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:03pm
Is he in our neighborhood? I could help him out with a little resto work and execise his fleet for him regularly
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:21pm
I have a friend that bought a yellow 70 Hemi Cuda back when we were about 18 years old. He never even drove it, just put it is his garage and it still sits there today. Even at 18 years old he knew that car would be crazy valuable some day. We always bugged him to pull it out so we could cruise but he new we'd probably wrap it around a light pole.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

We always bugged him to pull it out so we could cruise but he new we'd probably wrap it around a light pole.

been there twice with my vette.... they are always in the middle of the streets
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 8:06pm
Mercy Keuka!!! You found quite the collection. Black is my all time favorite color on a 70 Roadrunner and 4 speed air grabber to boot!!! Anyone ever seen an air grabber operate at idle in a cammed car.... Super slow and cool

A lemon twist bird!! And a PP1 red 67 DROP DOP X!!! I need to meet this guy.

Dad used to tow his red and white 74 sn with a 79 lil red..... I was 5 years old and furious when he sold that rig... Ever saw a Midnite Express? Black metallic paint and super rare. I haven't seen a real one in person to this day.
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:19pm
These all belong to an older farmer that lives about 15 miles from me. I took these picture when I was at their house for one of their daughter's weddings. I am still looking for the picture of the 69 Roadrunner converible white with black top. This gentleman has owned these for a long time. He had always owned Plymouths and never sold them. Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I remember many of his cars driven daily and run into the ground. NY winter really take a toll.
86 Martinique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Keuka Keuka wrote:

These all belong to an older farmer that lives about 15 miles from me. I took these picture when I was at their house for one of their daughter's weddings. I am still looking for the picture of the 69 Roadrunner converible white with black top. This gentleman has owned these for a long time. He had always owned Plymouths and never sold them. Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I remember many of his cars driven daily and run into the ground. NY winter really take a toll.

Hey Keuka! Gotta love a Keuka barnfind. Before he bought an old hangar at PY airport, in winter my bro used to switch his floatplane to big bush wheels and keep it up at one of the vineyards on top of the bluff. The old farmer died a few years back and they found in one of the grape sheds a perfect mint-condition circa-1960 BMW boxer with sidecar. What a find, wish I'd had the money at the time!

As I recall, Walter Taylor also had some beauties up at Bully Hill Winery that he drove before he got paralyzed.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:53am
Apologies for getting back into a boat discussion here, but my little 16' 7" 1975 Century has a Chrysler 360, never rebuilt, & still runs like a bat out of hell.

Go Mopar!!
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 11:16am
A 360 is what makes my car shake. They actually used fuelinjected 360's in Hydrodynes in the mid 90's. They would be torque monsters.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

They actually used fuelinjected 360's in Hydrodynes in the mid 90's.

Post some up! All I seem to have seen were 351s
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 12:32pm
Don't know of any at the moment Hollywood but When I was on the prowl for my boat years ago I saw a red one and a blue one with Injected 360 magnums. I'll look around.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2012 at 3:28pm
Enjoy this one may need to go back home.....
54 Vett
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2012 at 4:31pm
Whoops. Should be called a Blue Flame six.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 3:46pm
Some of you with performance cars will like this, I'm sure.
nice pass

It is nice to know that almost everyone who passes you is doing it with your permission. It makes me want my turbo minivan (mini) back!

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 7:32pm
Hi-Jack of the thread-
160,000 miles and the Timing Gear finally went boom-boom on the 83 Monte Carlo SS.
Took me about 8 hours last Saturday the 10th- including stopping and going to pick-up the parts.

So I got to drive my Dad's Hot Rod for a couple of days

78 El Camino

66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 7:40pm

66 Skylark
93 SN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 7:50pm
Hey Marty, did you convince him that you needed a triuckster to pick up the timing set?

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2012 at 11:49am
Poor Challenger Marty!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2012 at 12:57pm

The ONLY ONE that Matters

66 Skylark
93 SN
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2012 at 1:10pm
Hey Keuka, think your neighbor would want to sell me the lil red express? Tell him it would be coming home to Mopar for a resto.
'94SN Restoration underway...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2012 at 1:16pm
71 satellite, 69 bee, and King Richard.
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2012 at 2:41pm
Foot

I don't know the guy that well but he hasn't been known to sell off anything. I am trying to cut one from the herd without much luck. I only took pictures of the ones in the barns. There were numerous cars sitting around outside or in the woods. A couple older Valiants, Olds 88 from the 50s. The Lil Red Express sits outside next to a barn. He also has several old tractors from John Deere, Allis Chalmers and Frmall that are still used regularly.

David
86 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic