NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 rebuild components

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

he wanted me to go with a 12.5 x 13 ACME 540.

I think the 540 is actually 13x12, so it may still rev too high with added cup. It may be best to not make any prop changes yet- give it a water test after the upgrades and see where you are. Depending on how many RPM you want to shed, theres a few options. The new 13x14 for the big blocks may work well if you think the 470 is too steep for pulling.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:52pm

Glad I've got a new set of heads and exhaust logs to stay ahead of you guys, Steve and I won't be able to run away from guys as easily as we did last year, hell where's stang been hiding out?

'79, you'd better have some Yates heads and some extra high HiTeks if you plan on staying ahead of me this year. Just kidding, but we might just bring a sleeper......
ReidP
1973 Mustang

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

he wanted me to go with a 12.5 x 13 ACME 540.

I think the 540 is actually 13x12, so it may still rev too high with added cup. It may be best to not make any prop changes yet- give it a water test after the upgrades and see where you are. Depending on how many RPM you want to shed, theres a few options. The new 13x14 for the big blocks may work well if you think the 470 is too steep for pulling.

I heard they were making a 13x14 now but why the heck don't they have a 13x13? I don't want to put a prop on that's gonna kill my holeshot. Like I said, we'll water test it and then decide what to do.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 10:29pm
reid.. that b/c the wind slides over your head better then ours!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:17am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Just kidding, but we might just bring a sleeper......

Hey, you said it yourself- no sandbaggin!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 8:53am
Tim,...ah, I was just kidding about that sleeper part too. We'll probably be bringing a 2 barrel carb boat. I certainly don't condone racing, esp with the family ski boat. Unless, of course you're in the company of some very experienced drivers eagerly seeking to test their enhancements, and far from home and away from the ma$$es, then I guess I could go along with some friendly but safe,....testing. And as long as ne'er a word of the results was leaked or discussed at all afterwards, as that could lead to hard feelings and bitterness amongst true friends. Unless I win!!

MM, I'll take any advantage I can get. Just bought some dome wax.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 8:58am
The arms race is really heating up around here, Keith should be getting some royalties from all these Summit sales. I will save my trash talking for the time being, but it does seem the price of poker is going up...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 9:05am
I'll bring my checkered flag. I'm thinking early AM Friday morning at GL- some WOT runs on gla$$!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 9:39am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

And as long as ne'er a word of the results was leaked or discussed at all afterwards, as that could lead to hard feelings and bitterness amongst true friends. Unless I win!!

I concur. Ill believe the 2-barrel comment when I see it at GL, but not until then.
By the way, did you get my email?

Joe, whats the timeframe look like on that stroker?

M3, get the flag ready for some 0-40 sprints. I think Ive got too much hull in the water to compete with these guys on the top end, but the newer boats come out of the water pretty good.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 9:55am
Hopefully everyone knows I'm just the eternal antagonist. Always looking to stir up some good banter.

But wouldn't a checkered flag be typically indicative of a close race?

Friday AM? Maybe I'd better leave a day earlier to make sure I get there on time, if only just to watch. Need to make sure everyone's aware of this anticipated part of the festivities.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 10:11am
Reid I've got a set of heads that have larger valves and smaller chambers than the ones we installed on Johns, it'll be around 10:1 compression after it's done and I'm shedding a few pounds in the process with the AL exhaust so I;ll have some legs in the long run might get a half length out of the hole but it won't last long.

You won't see me buying hy-teks don't need them got a nice set of new unused polished edelbrocks all ready.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 7:12am
Does anyone have a better source for front and rear main seals for this engine, 351 reverse rotation? Skidim has them but at about $120, Felpro makes them for half the price but they are backordered until late march from everyone I've tried.

My machinist says that although the engine is reverse there is an oil wick on the crank so I could use a standard or reverse rear seal. I was going to get the reverse anyway but now I'm stuck and I don't want to wait another 3 weeks. What do you think about the standard seal comment? I would still need the front seal to be reverse. I'd like to get started assembling this weekend. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 8:21am
if the seals don't have wick bosses on the seal then it won't make a difference, that is as long as the lip of the seal is smooth, you have the wick lines on the crank at the rear so a smoothed face seal is what you want. The front would be better off with the feature in the seal but not really needed if it really comes dowm to it. If you have the Fel-pro seal number then try summit or jeg, also call bearings incorperated(sp) with the part number and go from there. If you can give me some specs for the OD and ID of the seal I can check my seal catolog and might be able to get you some options on the seals.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 8:56am
I don't have specs Chris but the part numbers from Summit are Fpp-17748 for the rear seal and fpp-17795 for the timing cover seal. Both are out of stock at summit until 3-23 and Jegs can't even find the part numbers. Jegs website is a POS and their tech support is sub par to summits.

I guess I should trust the guy with 30 years of experience then and just get a standard rotation seal for the rear, he says I still need a reverse for the the front which I can get from Skidim, it was the less expensive of the 2 anyway. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 10:05am
Alan didn't the gasket set come with front and rear oil seal with it? look at the seal for bumps on the lip's surface and see if they are lines or triangular in shape, if they are triangular then it's a by-directional and will work fine. if it's lines then it's directional. My catalog doesn't list federal mogal as a cross reference if you have a CR, national, NOK or Devries number then I can give you all of them. I'll look into it a little more.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 10:18am
Gasket set is part of the problem. Since I was originally only doing the heads I had purchased a top end set. The new water pump came with gaskets, so all I needed was timing cover, oil pan and seals. I should have just returned the original set but I had already opened it and I bought it about four months ago. So now I'm piece mealing it to get the final items I need. Wouldn't be a big deal if the Felpro ones weren't back ordered. I need to stop at an auto parts store today and see if I can take a look at the lip of a standard seal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 10:34am
well from what I can tell you need a seal for a 2.561 bore and a shaft dia of 1.875 for the front and the wick lines need to go downward from the front of the seal towards the back or open area of the seal. I'll see if I can figure out what the CR or national number is for you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 11:09am
Allan call around and ask for National oil seal part numbers 17748 and 17795 or have then cross reference those numbers.

Fel-pro is national oil seal and everyone cross reference their numbers, so call all the autoparts store's in your area.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 11:30am
Thanks Chris, I'm on it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 1:19pm
That was the trick Chris, Summit site listed it as Felpro but no one could match the numbers up. I called the local autozone and told him to look in the national book and he found it in minutes. Still had to order but they'll be in tommorrow for $54 for the set. Thanks a million
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 1:51pm
Just don't get the box dirty and double check the wick features of the lip seal to make sure it's going in the right direction.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 2:36pm
I'll bring the seals to the engine builder when I pick up the block saturday and let him take a look to make sure they're correct. he;s the guy who gave me the part numbers so I think we're good.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 7:49am
Bummer, block won't be ready til monday. I was really looking forward to getting started.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 8:11am
hey allan on that rear seal is it a one piece seal?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 8:41am

hey allan on that rear seal is it a one piece seal?

It's a 2 piece and it does appear to be the correct one. I'm not so sure about the front seal though. The packaging shows it for a 289/302, does not state 351. The wife picked it up for me so I wasn't there to ask to verify it will work. It certainly does not look like what came off the motor. I may just return it and order the one from Skidim, the front seal wasn't the expensive one anyway and atleast I'll know it's correct.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 8:48am
well the 302 and 351w oil pans are different but I believe the timing covers are the same.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 11:19am
I've seen front seals that look dramatically different. If I remember right the one I took out of my '79 had a flange on it to help control insertion depth. The one I replaced it with didn't have the flange. The sealing geometry and OD of the press-fit were the same though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by AWhite70 AWhite70 wrote:

I've seen front seals that look dramatically different. If I remember right the one I took out of my '79 had a flange on it to help control insertion depth. The one I replaced it with didn't have the flange. The sealing geometry and OD of the press-fit were the same though.

I think that is the case with this front seal. It checks out in the parts book but doesn't have the lip you described, I think we're good to go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 8:27pm
Without having my block to start assembling this past weekend I was still able to get a fair amount of work done. Scrubed the bilge clean, steam cleaned the carpets, detailed the tranny for reinstall and finished putting the new chrome back on the dash.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 8:51pm
Looks like Alan is locked in for the 80's category at Great Lake again this year. Lookin' good!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic