NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

seeking a high gloss shine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 8:45pm
I just picked up this porta cable orbital polisher from a detail supply friend of mine.

Haven't tried it out yet though.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I just picked up this porta cable orbital polisher

JP,
How heavy is the oxidation you are trying to remove? Typically a RO will not take the place of a rotary.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 10:32pm
There's no real oxidation on our boat. This polisher is to keep it nice and shiny. Polish once or twice a year and wax 3-4 times a year. depending on how she looks.

It will also come in handy for use on the family autos.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
gpax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 12:57pm
I have a few questions as I'm about to undertake this on my 97 Sport Nautique.

I have bought the 3 3M products recommended. What pads should I buy for rotary and does anyone have a good place online to pick those up?

I plan on removing my decals. Any idea where I can get new ones. I've contacted my local dealer in Orlando but have received no response.

If I do need to wetsand is the process done by hand with just dipping the sandpaper in a bucket of water?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 1:23pm
It should tell you on the bottles what pads to use,white foam is for compound,black for polish and blue is for ultra polish . Don't go cheap on the sandpaper 3m once again is great,change it often. Doing it by hand will kill you but you won't make any mistakes,resist the urge to go with coarse paper,do a section with 1000 or 1200 and see how it goes if needed. If your boat is not bad the compounds will do fine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 1:43pm
Truthfully I'd go to somebody/sponsor on here for the decals rather our lovely dealer.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 6:19pm
3M makes pads for each of the 3 compounds/polishes, there's a kit on Amazon that includes the polishes and the pads.   Get some pad cleaner and clean up the pads when you're done and they'll last a long time, I've done the boat 2 times and 2 full size trucks and the pads are still looking good.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 6:21pm
I used foam pads on the BFN and it turned out good but it also started pretty decent. No sanding and I went right over the decals, pinstripe was removed prior to. I have wool pads for the Martinique, it's going to require a much more aggressive effort to shine that thing up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 6:31pm
The last step of the 3M stuff will polish the decals, I wasn't brave enough to try anything more aggressive on them. It also does a pretty good job of minimizing the orange peel on a new vehicle if you're looking for something to do after you finish polishing the boat.    
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

minimizing the orange peel on a new vehicle

I definitely don't have that problem.
84SNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 10:23pm
I checked Amazon and there two polishing kits. One is around $26 and the other is $132. Which one are you referring to?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 11:13pm
Get the complete one with 3 bottles of polish and 3 pads.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 10:24am
I have a Dewalt rotary that seems to be a pretty nice piece. I am a fan of Dewalt anyhow. It lets you get down below 1000 rpms in speed I believe.

I've buffed 100s of cars over my time but only brought two boats back from wet sanded surfaces. I need to read up and start buying some products as the dash is the first spot on the docket to wet sand and buff. Deck will just receive a 2 or 3 state aggressive to final polish buff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic